3D modeling

Hi All

I am starting to try and work in 3D more and more (getting a little comfortable), and had a question before I start a new project.

Ex #1: Imagine you have a flower vase created from a sweep, and you wanted to add shapes that are "embossed" to the surface of the vase. How would you go about adding these so that they follow the contour of the vase?

Ex #2: Say you have created something that looks like a halo, and you wanted to add little pyramids around the entire outside of the halo (so that in the end it looks like a studded dog collar).

Sorry for the bad examples! Any help or direction is appreciated!

For example 1, look into applying a render works decal.

for your example 2, I have always done it slightly brute force. align my "halo" with the ground plane. draw my stud in front view then using front and top view align it with the face of my halo. Then using the Duplicate array tool in circular mode array them around said halo.

HTH,

Ion

Ok I think my explanation was not worded correctly...I have attached a file (just a quick sketch). Say I have the green vase, and wanted to have the blue object (teardrop shaped) attached to the face of the vase, following the contour of the green vase in both directions, curved on the backside....

In drawing this I came across another question (sorry), is there another way to create half rounded objects (flat on the back but rounded on the front and ends), besides the sweep function set at 180*? Let's say the objects top view does not allow for the sweep to work, like a "S" shaped item...

There is almost always more than one way to draw any shape in VW.

For truly round objects (like a vase), the sweep is usually easiest, but you could also do loft with rail or multiple extrudes.

If you need something with flat backs, you could make the entire object and then do a split or trim or solid subtraction to get rid of the part you don't want. Or, you could do an extrude along path.

Many times I find it easier to make the object close to the way it is manufactured and make a large solid and then Add Solids/Subtract Solids/Intersect Solids to get the final object.

As Mar suggested, don't be afraid to duplicate your object and use it as a cutting tool to get pieces to fit "perfectly" together.

Ok, here is a rough approximation of what I think you are after

example 1, I used the extract edges to get the profile of the "teardrop" composed the 3 nurbs it created, then used the push pull to extend it into the vase. I duplicated the vase in place and intersected that with the shape I just created. Moved that intersection out 1/2" and then applied a fillet of .49" to get the rounded shape. (if you ungroup the fillet you can edit each solid to see the pieces I used.)

Example 2, you were essentially there, all I did (After deleting all but one) was use the push/pull tool to pull the base of the pyramid into the collar. Then rotated it to be straight up and down and aligned it with the center of the collar and the outside edge. Used the duplicate array to get 11 copies rotated 360/12 degrees.

Ahh ok thanks guys I think I get it now. I was thinking that there was some way to either set the working plane to be the curvature, to where I could draw the teardrop physically on the face of the vase then somehow extrude it to be rounded (no idea how, but thought there may be a function for that). Or...I was thinking there was some way to draw the teardrop flat as I did, then use some function to bend it to the curvature as if it were clay......

On a different note. I have noticed, while searching for the answer to this question, some of you post images that have very smooth edges while mine all look jagged and faceted what needs to be turned up to create a smoother curve? Also I forget what forum I was in but I remember seeing an example posted that looked almost like a drop of mercury.....it looked very natural and random in shape. Is this something that is hard to create? Not so much the reflectiveness (I assume that's way above my head at this moment) but more so the actual shape. .... Ill try to figure out what I typed in the search bar to find the image...

Thanks again!

For a smoother representation, there are two settings, that you can change. In wireframe Vectorworks Preferences/3D/3D Conversion Resolution can be turned up. For OpenGL Open GL Options/Detail can be set higher. In renderings, you can use Custom Renderworks and set the option for Curved Geometry to Very High, which is one step better than Final Quality Renderworks, where all settings are High.

The first two will make screen update slower, the latter will affect rendering time. But the differences are 'virtual': The accuracy of the actual geometry remains the same - it is only the representation, that changes.