Vectorworks 2012 pricing

In fairness Ian, Vectorworks are trying to help people with upgrading via VSS. For someone who upgrades every other year, like yourself, 2 years of VSS is cheaper than paying the upgrade when your software is 2 versions behind.
My software never gets two versions behind. As Christiaan says, you can pay for one years upgrade and get two years worth of software. Upgrading every other year works for me although maybe this pricing loophole has been stopped with the introduction of VSS, but I don't need to make any decision for another year.

It's a U.S. thing - just noticed after registering. Hopefully I can still partake. Maybe others to come.

I wonder if there's anything in that subtitle: "discover - connect - accelerate."

Is that to do with the event or software changes? Connect sounds interesting.

Edit: from press release:

Topics will include Building Design and BIM, Site Design, Collaboration Improvements, Entertainment Design, Rendering Improvements and more.

"Collaboration Improvements" Please be what I think that means!

Edited by Christiaan

What worries me about this release is that there might not be any new features (maybe thats why there's no video leaks). I hope I'm wrong but I think it will be something like the VW2008 and especially VW2009 releases where there wasn't much new added.

After the features (lots off) added in VW2011, I think NemV has run out on steam on this version. Christian might be correct about the "collaboration improvements" but I fear that's all there is to vw2012. Again I hope I'm wrong.

What new features are you hoping for?

I would be happier if NVW spent some energy on improving performance, making VW more stable, and finishing the features that we have already. As an example, I'd love complete window, door, and stair tools that worked properly.

I actually think that NVW has spent too much energy on new features and not enough on making those features work properly.

What worries me about this release is that there might not be any new features (maybe thats why there's no video leaks).

As long as this means more stability and less bugs there's nothing to worry about........except the price maybe considering an upgrade fee for stability seems a little steep (and unfair).......in other words they need to add new features to justify and upgrade cost.

Edited by Vincent C
What new features are you hoping for?

I would be happier if NVW spent some energy on improving performance, making VW more stable, and finishing the features that we have already. As an example, I'd love complete window, door, and stair tools that worked properly.

I actually think that NVW has spent too much energy on new features and not enough on making those features work properly.

I guess "new" means different things to different people. :) I'm actually thinking the same as you but I want a "new" window and door tool-something that's not based on the rigid plug-in object, I want a "new" graphic screen so it doesn't "white out" objects while panning, I want full 64-bit compliancy, live interactive section tool, better hardware usage, seperate 3D modeling window without wireframe similar to ArchiCAD etc., etc. Basically I would like the same tools but with a "SpaceClaim" feel to them. So some call that more stable/finished and some call it "new" ;)

As long as this means more stability and less bugs there's nothing to worry about........except the price maybe considering an upgrade fee for stability seems a little steep (and unfair).......in other words they need to add new features to justify and upgrade cost.

vw2009 didn't have any real new features but we still had to pay a price.

I'm actually thinking the same as you but I want a "new" window and door tool-something that's not based on the rigid plug-in object, I want a "new" graphic screen so it doesn't "white out" objects while panning, I want full 64-bit compliancy, live interactive section tool, better hardware usage, seperate 3D modeling window without wireframe similar to ArchiCAD etc., etc. Basically I would like the same tools but with a "SpaceClaim" feel to them.

Amen to that! (I would even be prepared to pay an upgrade price for that!)

Edited by Vincent C
I guess "new" means different things to different people. :) I'm actually thinking the same as you but I want a "new" window and door tool-something that's not based on the rigid plug-in object, I want a "new" graphic screen so it doesn't "white out" objects while panning, I want full 64-bit compliancy, live interactive section tool, better hardware usage, seperate 3D modeling window without wireframe similar to ArchiCAD etc., etc. Basically I would like the same tools but with a "SpaceClaim" feel to them. So some call that more stable/finished and some call it "new"

very well put

I guess "new" means different things to different people. :) I'm actually thinking the same as you but I want a "new" window and door tool-something that's not based on the rigid plug-in object, I want a "new" graphic screen so it doesn't "white out" objects while panning, I want full 64-bit compliancy, live interactive section tool, better hardware usage, seperate 3D modeling window without wireframe similar to ArchiCAD etc., etc. Basically I would like the same tools but with a "SpaceClaim" feel to them. So some call that more stable/finished and some call it "new"

I think that we'd ALL be happy to pay an upgrade price for that.

Yep, I definitely agree, improvements and fixes need to get priority before new features are added.

Ever since NVW moved to a 12 month release cycle, the quality of each edition at release has progressively deteriorated and the number of SP releases required before major problems are resolved has been increasing.

With VW 2012 about to come out and 2011 about to get left in the dust with significant bugs still persisting, bugs that affect productivity daily, it feels like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's as though they've fallen a full edition behind the release cycle in terms of their own QA.

I also suspect NVW's ever growing beta cycle problem has become a vicious cycle we're inevitably contributing to, because you can't confidently shift work to the next edition without an expectation of major problems at release, SP1, SP2 or even SP3 so you don't. The icon sits in your dock, you watch these boards and you wait for the SPs to chock up while continuing to use the previous edition.

I'd happily upgrade even if the next edition was simply called "2011 Bug Free" but of course, that's not going to happen.

Just been thinking about 'collaboration improvements'.

If it's what I was hoping it might be (BIMserver.org support) that would deal with Big BIM/multi-disciplinary IFC-based model collaboration but it wouldn't deal with Little BIM/in-the-office parametric-object-based model collaboration (e.g. TeamWork for ArchiCAD).

Then again it's probably not a delta server arrangement at all. It's probably just some workgroup reference or IFC export improvement. :(

Just jumped in and received VW 2011 a couple of weeks ago and am using it on new projects

It has a nice feel and am already using some of its upgraded features in my workflow

When switching back to 2010 for old projects ? they seem very similar

Will be really interesting to see what improvements are provided in 2012