Easy Copying

I'm helping an ArchiCad user use Vectorworks and this simple command I have not been able to figure out.

We wish to draw an object a set distance from a reference point.

For example, we have a wall that starts 1m from the corner. We have the wall command active, but cannot select the point and move 1m from it to start. The only way I can see is to draw a line 1m long to get the point, or draw the onject and move it. Surely there is an easier way?

I may be mistaken, but I don't think there is such a function.

If the offset is vertical or horizontal from the reference point, you can use the fact, that any value entered through the databar can be in the form of a calculation.

So get a snap from a reference object by hovering the curser over it until it ligths up.

Then evoke the databar by hitting the tab until you are in the x- or y-field as needed, you will see the current value reflected and highlighted in that field.

Press the right arrow, then write +100 (or whatever the need is) and hit return.

You will now have a red constraint line 100 cm from the chosen reference point - if cm is the chosen unit.

It's not what you asked for, but often quite useful. I should warn, that the accuracy of the method is only as high as the decimal setting in the preferences.

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard

- Put the cursor on the point you want to measure from and press the G key to set a temporary datum.

- Click on the Tab key to bring up the Floating Data Bar.

- Tab into the X field and enter the required X value, then tab into the Y field and enter the required Y value.

Note: if you want distance and angle tab into the L field and enter the required L value, then tab into the A field and enter the required angle (angles can be entered using d m s as shortcuts for degrees, minutes and seconds).

Understanding and being able to use Vectorwork's Snapping features like the Smart Cursor Settings is essential if you want to become a proficient user.

Edited by mike m oz