Streaming stock prices (real-time charts)

I want to hire somebody to create something that allows me to add streaming stock data into Vectorworks.

This needs to be displayed as a real-time price chart on a separate Vectorworks layer. The chart needs to be scalable/ snappable/ stretchable, and most importantly, savable between sessions.

Not sure if this is within the capabilities of VectorScript. If not, how else to create it? Is there already a plugin or 3rd party solution?

In the most robust and ideal approach, this would be a new type of workspace, perhaps called "Trader" -- no doubt opening new markets for NNA.

However, for my immediate needs, I'm willing to hire a programmer to hack something rudimentary that works. Fair compensation.

Where do I start?

Suggestions?

If you need real "Real Time" data I think you are out of luck. I don't know of any way to write a background process in VW that can continue to run while you do other things.

If manually updating the data is acceptable then it should be possible.

Are you on a Mac or Windows? I know on a Mac you could use a combination of Applescript and Vectorscript (probably with some Shell calls thrown in for good measure) to do something like grab the data from a web site and put it into a record attached to a symbol. The symbol would then have text linked to the record so when you update the record you get the new data on the drawing.

Can you tell us more about what you really want/need? We might have other suggestions.

Ideally real time. However, manual updating is okay. The goal is to duplicate an accurate stock chart in Vectorworks that can be saved.

I'm on a Mac. I've done only basic scripting, so this is quite beyond me. I can imagine the programming would be very tedious with various parts and pieces to achieve the simplest interface.

The other factor is the format of numerical data that comes in. Currently, without inquiry and digging, I don't know how it comes. It could be take all (constant streaming) or take none. If none, then the input becomes finding the data source manually before importing. At worst, this involves another user input and another chance for errors.

So it's the user input and errors that must be kept to a minimum. Or entirely eliminated. The goal is to do it as quickly and automatically as possible to have the background information in place. Even if not fully automatic, say a two-click process every few minutes, it'll still be head and shoulders above the rest.

Assumptions and Simplifications

Assume there's a server at a financial institution providing the data. This is common. Assume that, in addition to typical streaming data that's "pushed" to clients, it also has static data available for manual "pulling."

In Vectorworks, everything is just 2D.

Let's say the data is just two numbers for each minute interval. So for one ticker, it's (closing) Price and Time (of the price) generated every minute. Price can be rounded to two decimal places. Time rounded to the second (it may also have day/month/year components which are important).

The X axis would be Time. The Y axis Price.

The procedure would recognize the last Time of retrieval and pull only data that's available afterwards. So upon manual execution, it would retrieve all the 1-min data sets, then simply graph them in the same design layer space. It just has to be visually clear at any scale.

The chart would then just continually build. The graphic appearance could be anything that, at any zoom, looks like an accurate stock price chart. They could just be symbols made of circles or squares. Or be new vertices and the graph be a single object (polyline). They could even be raw 2D loci. All just X-Y positions.

Each retrieval would fill in the points and bring the chart up to date.

User interface could be:

1. Open control window

2. Login to financial institution

3. Press button to execute (pull all data since last retrieval)

The user would fill in with whatever that's needed on the other layers ? graph axes, major grid, minor grid, labels, etc. Maybe add user-controllable intervals (5min or 30min), or multiple price points per interval (open, high, low, close) in a later version.

This would be rudimentary but immensely helpful. Vectorworks can be a very useful financial tool. There won't be anything else like it.

If anybody can help create this, I'm willing to pay fair money. Please contact me by sending a private message in my profile.

Thank you.

Suggestions/ideas/advice invited.

Assumptions and Simplifications

This would be rudimentary but immensely helpful. Vectorworks can be a very useful financial tool. There won't be anything else like it.

If anybody can help create this, I'm willing to pay fair money. Please contact me by sending a private message in my profile.

Thank you.

Suggestions/ideas/advice invited.

Those tools are already available and FREE here

http://www.maplesoft.com/applications/view.aspx?SID=6650

Those tools are already available and FREE here

http://www.maplesoft.com/applications/view.aspx?SID=6650

Thank you but how are you able to get it for FREE?

I could only sign up for an evaluation as their software sells for US $2275. It seems a sales rep will contact me with more info. The description page doesn't say anything about any interface with third party software like Vectorworks.

Are you familiar with it?

Yes, correct Free evaluation only...it is a sample app of what can be done.You can write or get others to develope the Simulations/solvers.If your idea is commercially viable/valuable I suggest you take it off the internet.Frankly, I dont see the potentual value in charting stocks in VW?

I have VW10 and ODBC is only available in 2011, Im not sure how well it works.Text dumps can be used for Import/Export in and out.

Inventors/developers have been using Solidworks and Maple (or matlab) for years.

IMO,Graphic Architects/Designers (VWD) are isolated in the (Data analysis) Stone age.... but we have great graphic presentataion tools so please NNA improve the external/internal data interfaces.

Can you tell me explicitly if what I describe is possible when the Maplesoft procedure is added to Vectorworks?

It's still within Vectorworks that I must do my analysis.

Again, I only need the price charts as background. I have no intention whatsoever of migrating to some simulation, modeling or solving platform. That defeats the purpose.

Ken,

I don't think anyone else has any idea of what you are trying to do or why.

Vectorworks is a program for manually drawing lines to a known scale. It does not easily handle importing and plotting data.

There are tons of other programs out there that are designed especially for what you are asking for.

Check out Smile http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/smile/index.html

It is designed for plotting, is free and is customizable in Vectorworks.

I doubt you will ever be able to make VW funciton like it sounds like you want it to.

Maybe if you can explain more about what you are really trying to do and why it needs to be in VW you might find more support.

Ken,

I don't think anyone else has any idea of what you are trying to do or why...

Pat,

You're not familiar with the stock market.

I'll say this much ? I've discovered a very useful technique that combines both worlds (of TA and CAD), increasing clarity and trading odds at least tenfold. Probably more, in the hands of a serious full-time professional. And this is just importing screenshots as bitmaps every hour!

The technique itself could be huge, but to bring it into view of regular investors and traders, there has to be some automatic or semi-automatic importing of stock quotes into Vectorworks. I'm crossing both worlds only because I'm familiar enough with the basic tools... and frankly I got really fast fingers and cursor control. :D

If the idea well here is dry, I'll have to go on to my next line of resources. It's been awhile since I've visited, so I don't know if the old experts are still around. We used to spark some famous ideas.

And some not so famous ones. ;)

Interactive Brokers offers an API solution for this:

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/pagemap/pagemap_APISolutions.php

Although the first level for Macintosh would be Java only, I think it'll be a win-win situation for both Nemetschek and InteractiveBrokers. The 2D drafting tools in Vectorworks are untouched and untapped by even the most sophisticated trading platform currently available. They just don't have the visual-intuitive approach.

I wouldn't mind transferring my entire trading account to IB for this.

In fact, if Java is not possible I wouldn't mind switching over to Windows!

The other possible solution is to use the SDK to create the plugin. You can add an Internet API to the plugin, which Apple and MS provide for stand-alone apps, as the means to get the required information.

However, the drawback with VW programming, whether VS or SDK, is that it cannot run plugins in the background to update and display the information dynamically. You would still need to do this manually or create a condition that will trigger the plugin to reset itself.

I am reading this going "Huh?" Why would you want to use a CAD program for something it is not intended to do? It's like pounding a nail with a screwdriver. You haven't explained that to us.

Sure you could (maybe) do it, but at a development time and cost far exceeding other solutions. Not to mention it would be half-baked...

Reminds me of a guy I knew who developed an entire site paperwork system in MiniCAD. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VectorGeek

VW2011, Mac (today)

Supporter of the right tool for the right job.

The other possible solution is to use the SDK to create the plugin. You can add an Internet API to the plugin, which Apple and MS provide for stand-alone apps, as the means to get the required information.

However, the drawback with VW programming, whether VS or SDK, is that it cannot run plugins in the background to update and display the information dynamically. You would still need to do this manually or create a condition that will trigger the plugin to reset itself.

Miguel,

Thank you for suggesting the SDK. That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I'm seeking somebody who can use it to help me create the procedure. I'm proposing either partnership or a one-time gig with fair compensation.

The procedure or plug-in doesn't absolutely have to update dynamically if by nature Vectorworks is not structured that way.

Knowledge of C++ seems to be the key. I'm not versed enough to tackle it on my own. If nobody visiting these forums have that kind of experience (and interest), then I'll take my offer elsewhere. I'm just posting here as a broad general inquiry.

I am reading this going "Huh?" Why would you want to use a CAD program for something it is not intended to do? It's like pounding a nail with a screwdriver. You haven't explained that to us.

Well then you're simply not the creative-inventive type! Innovation often comes from combining seemingly incongruous systems. I've already described a simplified approach (above) from a common Vectorworks point of view, for common Vectorworkers.

And I'll overlook your attempt to speak for everybody else. Who's "us?" I find that expression to be herd-think. You're thinking only within the given box. Which also explains why you'll never get it if you still have no clue at this point. No offense intended. This is just a fair response. :cool:

Well then you're simply not the creative-inventive type! Innovation often comes from combining seemingly incongruous systems.

Well you haven't convinced me (and trust me, I am one of the people who could make this happen) that the idea has merit. If you could just elaborate by saying "this is a good idea because __________________", then that would stimulate intelligent discussion and debate on the merits of such an idea. You seem to be purposely withholding information about HOW you would use such a system. If it's a secret, say so, or ask for NDAs. You'll get farther by being less vague. There are lots of really smart people on this message board. Take advantage of that by laying out your idea in more detail.

I've already described a simplified approach (above) from a common Vectorworks point of view, for common Vectorworkers.

No, you have described a fairly interesting approach to a real time financial reporting concept, within the framework of a graphic UI. You have not (other than through your obvious like for the program) suggested why VectorWorks would be the ideal development platform. What you are looking for could be done WAY easier using a number of other development environments, at less cost, in less time, and would have far greater marketability because it could be sold for far less (one would not have to own a $2000 CAD program to download and chart stock information).

I have my stockhouse feeding me real time information while I work in VectorWorks. In a browser window on my second monitor. If I need to chart any of it, a quick download and import to Excel and it's done. Haven't checked to see if there are programs to do this in an automated fashion, but I would guess there are lots, especially on Windows.

You're thinking only within the given box. Which also explains why you'll never get it if you still have no clue at this point. No offense intended. This is just a fair response.

No offense taken. Give me a bigger box.

Sincerely,

--

V-G

Can you tell me explicitly if what I describe is possible when the Maplesoft procedure is added to Vectorworks?

Again, I only need the price charts as background. I have no intention whatsoever of migrating to some simulation, modeling or solving platform. That defeats the purpose.

Hmmmm... you stand a better chance of getting the graphical parasolid 2D/3D goodies into maple than solvers (analysis tools) into VW....node linking between the 2 would be a good start... My qualifications are in Economics/Construction/Engineering and experienced Data analyis(Maple) leave a PM if I can help.Goodluck

Hmmmm... you stand a better chance of getting the graphical parasolid 2D/3D goodies into maple than solvers (analysis tools) into VW...

The Maplesoft sales reps have provided a conclusion for me. It is not something that can work within Vectorworks nor side-by-side with it. You also misunderstand, so I'll repeat that I am not seeking to insert "solvers into VW." And I've already looked into the other direction. It's not "a better chance." Instead, the other direction is absolutely impossible.

I'll mention again (for those too lazy to read this entire discussion) that this comes after discovering a new technique that combines TA and CAD to increase odds clarity at any given moment. That's all. There's no secret beyond that. It's not traditional TA. It's a new approach. It's an innovation.

The actual use of it is irrelevant, especially for those not familiar with TA. The effectiveness of it should be irrelevant, although I'll say again that I'm willing to compensate very fairly for just a rudimentary version.

In fact, explaining any more than this would be like explaining why your building design has a metallic facade turning the corner at the lobby whatever ? so NNA programmers can debate the merits of it before introducing some innovative "viewport" feature. Yeah right.

Rest assured I'll divulge more to the right person(s) at the proper time, but this public discussion is not the place or time.

I think I've exhausted the resources here. VW SDK and IB API for somebody with C++ experience. My hunt continues.

Thank you all for the discussion. I've added my email address (in my profile) for readers who have not registered or don't want to log in.

I didn't read all of the posts (sorry, way to much text) so maybe it's already suggested.

You could make a Apple script that runs in the background and get your data from a site and saved that in a txt or xml file.

A plugin placed in you drawing could then (when manually updating) read out that data and display it.

This last part (the VW plugin) doesn't sound like such a big job (can be done with VS), but it's the Apple script part that will be the hardest i think.

The actual use of it is irrelevant, especially for those not familiar with TA.

What IS TA? And I mean what do the initials stand for not a primer in investment banking.

TA = Trend Analysis

Now attempting to draw a site plan in Microsoft Powerpoint.

-------------------------------------------

V-G.

TA = Trend Analysis

V-G.

TA is Technical Analysis. You can just Google "TA and stocks" to get more info.

Of course you would mock the innovative use without knowing a thing about it.

Again you show your character! :grin:

TA = Trend Analysis

V-G.

Well, when I look up "Technical Analysis", its says that it is exclusively concerned with "Trend Analysis".

But again, if you would be less secretive about your idea, you could get some really good feedback. If you prefer, send me some info off-line and I would be glad to have a detailed look.

V-G.

TA = Trend Analysis

V-G.

With all due respect Ken you are mocking the intelligence of every user on here and you are showing your character by discrediting those who are trying to help you. V-G is absolutely right in comparing what you are trying to accomplish to drawing a site plan in powerpoint. Possible but absolutely wrong tool for the job. In my honest opinion, I think you should look elsewhere instead of trying to turn a drafting tool into a stock ticker.

OK, before this gets out of hand I am going to step in here early with my Moderator hat on.

Ken, so far no one here can see the value in doing this in VW except you. This may very well be our limitation in not understanding technical analysis and the stock market.

Can you please explain what type of drawing you are going to be doing to make this appropriate to do in VW?

Everyone else, unless you have something to contribute directly to Ken's original questions about scripting the data input, please let the personal comments drop.

Thanks.