Trouble Subtracting Sink from Cabinet

Tom7

Make sure you are using a sink front type cabinet or it will never work.

This is because a sink front type cabinet has no top.

All other cabinets have a top.

I do not mean countertop.

Place one of each, view in Opengl, (3D) or other textured mode and you will see what I mean.

taoist

Think in terms of what it would take to fabricate this. The first thing you would do is cut the opening out in the top. Determine the proper opening for the sink you've selected and create a rounded rectangle accordingly. Extrude that rectangle to a couple of inches more then your top thickness. Place it on and in your top, where the sink is going and perform the "Subtract Solids" command. That should give you the top with proper opening. Then drag the sink you want in from the Resource Browser and locate it in relationship to the top opening. Maybe someone else could suggest a quicker way.

Make sure you are using a sink front type cabinet or it will never work.

This is because a sink front type cabinet has no top.

All other cabinets have a top.

I do not mean countertop.

Place one of each, view in Opengl, (3D) or other textured mode and you will see what I mean.

taoist

I am still having trouble with this. I changed the counter type to "sink front", but the issue now is that I cannot subtract the sink from the counter because I cannot seem to select both at the same time. I select the sink and the hold down shift to select the counter, but as soon as I press the shift key the counter becomes unselectable. It is on the same layer as the sink, not sure why it is doing this. I tried creating and extruding a rectangle to subtract from the counter but I have the same issue.

Edited by Tom7

Tom,

You must make sure you select the entire countertop depth.

By default, the countertop has a reveal of 1/2".

This means the bottom of the countertop (underside)has a rabbet at it's front bottom face.

Plan view draw / place sink front cabinet

Switch to a 3D view

I use right side (#6) view, but left side (#4)view works just as well

When you Modify > Ungroup the cabinet and countertop,

you will what appears to be the full countertop overhanging the face of the cabinet.

Below what appears to be the bottom of the countertop is a line, select that along with the obvious top. This line is the actual bottom of the top due to the reveal I mentioned above.

Now go to Model > Add Solids

Switch to Top /Plan view

Select sink

Create cutout shape for sink

Model > Extrude shape to depth greater than countertop thickness

Place extruded shape in cabinet to represent sink cutout

Switch to a side view to get vertical offset correct

Select extruded shape and Add Solid from earlier step

Go to Model > Subtract Solids

The Add Solids you created must be the object to keep, click OK

Top /Plan view

Place sink in hole (subtract solids)

Switch to side view to align the sink vertically

You can now save (if so desired) the cabinet and sink (save all) and save as a symbol for future use.

Have you seen this video from Tech Support?

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/753/Placing+a+Sink+in+a+Base+Cabinet

HTH

taoist

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The independent Counter Top PIO includes controls for a sink hole. Just put in your dimensions and off set location.

Go to your cabinet PIO and toggle off the included counter creation and then place the separate Counter Top PIO with hole on top of it.

Why the original base cabinet doesn't include hole options is beyond me. Being able to input a symbol name into a PIO field and have it show up right where we want with over or under mount toggle would be nice as well. As is, base, counter, sink, and faucet all need to be separate PIO's or symbols stacked together.

Joe