Window Trim - picture frame & stool with apron

taoist

I should mention that the apron moulding face needs to face right with the bottom of the apron (inside edge) at the bottom.

When editing profile make sure that you pay attention to where the moulding is in relation to the quadrant.

It wants to be in the lower right with the upper back side against the "Y" axis line.

By all means try different axis locations and view the results.

taoist

Edited by taoist

I should mention that for windows you can use a rectangle for the profile (moulding) path or a polyline.

You can offset the rectangle to what you want for the reveal.

I normally trace the perimeter (outside edge) of window frame (jamb) then offset the rectangle inwards 1/2" as most window jambs are 3/4".

You could also trace the inside edge and offset outwards 1/4", then you would always have a 1/4" reveal regardless of jamb thickness.

You can also move the profile (edit profile mode) to account for the reveal(against the jamb)you want. Typical reveal is 1/4".

Doors:

Use polyline as you have only (3) three sides to trim.

Make sure to double mouse click at the last point.

taoist

Draw the polyline path in plan view

it will have left, front and right sides

It will help if you have done the casing first

as the length of the Apron is typically the same length as the

window casing is from left to right sides of the window

Convert polyline to Nurbs

This will save a step in rotating the EAP

Select your profile from the Resource Browser

Rotate the profile as I have mentioned in previous post

Copy profile, exit symbol

Paste on screen away from window

Select Nurbs path and profile

Model > Extrude Along Path

Make sure the Nurbs path is highlighted (usually in blue)

Change to side view (#6 or #4) on keypad.

Align EAP to window face and vertically

Check out your work in OpenGl and give it some color.

Adjust EAP if needed

taoist

Wes,

Looks good!

Did you use polyline for the apron or line and split tool?

The poly line really is not correct as far as field procedure goes.

It would be great if we did not have to start / stop the base and other wall trim at the doors / openings. It should auto cut at the opening trim.

I post these Tips if you will because they are needed and others need want to know how to do this as it is not in the manual.

This is what I mean by real world examples of how to use the tools VW provides.

taoist

Yes, the baseboard and wainscot should auto cut at the trim for openings. In the meantime... rather than start and stop them at openings, I create a solid subtraction as follows:

1. Create the path shape (typically the perimeter for the entire room).

2. Extrude a profile along the path.

3. Edit the profile of the resulting EAP: draw your baseboard, wainscot and/or crown, all set at their proper heights (so that, for example, the baseboard's lower left is at (0,0), and the crown's upper left is at the ceiling height).***

4. Exit the EAP and make it into a group.

5. Enter the group, go to a Top (3D) view, and create rectangular extrusions for all of your openings, coordinated in plan with your opening casings and adjusted height-wise so that they'll remove only the wainscot at windows, and both baseboard and wainscot at doors.

6. Select everything, and create a solid subtraction (since the EAP was drawn first, all the extrudes should be subtracted from it).

7. Voila! Ideally, using a single path, you should have your interior trim interrupted as desired at openings.

8. For updating when openings change, enter the group, select the solid subtraction and un-group it (to revert back to its original EAP and extrudes). Adjust the extrudes as necessary, then select-all (thus the benefit of having the single solid subtraction in a group) and re-create the solid subtraction as above.

I'm guessing this system is not likely to work if you're trying to report on the lengths of the mouldings using VW 2010+...

***Consistent with the convention for walls, which ideally are drawn clockwise so that their left sides are on the outside, I make sure my paths for EAPs are similarly clockwise, and then I draw EAP's interior profiles to the right side of X=0, and exterior profiles (such as for roof eaves) to the left side of X=0.

• 1 year later...

It is a profile you create or assemble if you will using existing moulding profiles, import, or create yourself.

You can do the window stools and apron as one profile, or as individual components.

If you make a profile of both combined & create a symbol, save them in a library and name them to your liking for future use.

Tips that may help you are;

How many different casing profiles (moulding styles/sizes) do you use? 2-1/2", 3-1/2", casing, etc...

How many different stool profiles do you use?

What depth stools (wall thickness driven) typically.