Section Viewport Issues

I'm trying to create some interior elevations using the section viewport tool. I select the tool, draw my line, and make sure the arrow points toward the wall of interest. I changed the options to fit my project (limited the section to the line length, etc) and hit enter. When VW finishes the rendering, I have a blank VP with insane dimensions (7.340097489377e125'). I have done this several times, changing options in the section viewport pop-up, and the only thing that changes are the numbers above, but they still end in some multiple of 10 (e283, etc). If I immediately update the section viewport, the dimensions go to 0" x 0" in my object info palette. Any ideas? My file size is 49.7 MB. I'm using VW 2010.

Thanks in advance!

Zach

portamigra,

It sounds to me like you are cutting a Section of a Viewport. One must create the Section Viewport from the Design Layer.

To make the Section Lines show up in your Viewport you must also note what your Viewport is called, & once your Section Viewport is established, select SECTION LINE INSTANCES & navigate to turn on the Viewport.

One must create the Section Viewport from the Design Layer.

Actually, it is much more efficient to create your section viewports from the sheet layer.

Select a viewport on a sheet layer. View>Create Section Viewport...

The section line will move into the annotation space of the selected viewport. If you have drawing coordination turned on, then the drawing labels will coordinate.

mk

michaelk,

I guess we can agree to disagree on this issue:

-Double-click on a viewport will take one to Design Layer

-Select Section Viewport

-Draw Section Line

VS

-Select Viewport

-Select Section Viewport

-Return to Viewport

-Double-click on a viewport

-Edit location of Viewport in Annotation Layer

+ If Section line is required to make jogs ... the fun begins

+ If one slips & starts to draw the section line on the Viewport, the result is what this thread is about; and more fun & zaniness ensues

In both cases if instances of section lines are required to be seen on several Sheet Views / Viewports this must be managed with Section Line Instances.

Peter's right, of course. :)

I usually

Select a viewport in a sheet layer (usually top/plan)

View>Create section viewport.

Draw the section line - with or without jogs - double click to end the section line.

That's it.

What I enjoy about this method is

-the section line instances and the drawing labels will automatically number/coordinate themselves with drawing numbers and sheel layers and

-there are no section line instances in my design layers to muddy the waters and

-both the section viewport and the parent viewport are on the same sheet layer so you can immediately see and (hopefully) understand the results.

To edit the section line, you're right, that's just personal preference. Would you rather edit in the design layer or the annotation space of the VP.

----------------

I'm not sure what is causing portamigra's problems. I've never seen that before. He doesn't say where he is drawing the section line, but I'm not sure that it matters. Usually when VW misbehaves like that it's because some piece of geometry is corrupted. 2010 was the first year of the new solids engine. It could be that there is a symbol from 2009 with self-intersecting geometry (often a sweep). And it is possible in DTMs to accidentally include a point that is 2 miles from the rest of the DTM. (I've done both)

Peter, wasn't there a bug in the early SPs of 2010 that caused DTMs built from contour lines to go bonkers? (I remember you helping me with a DTM around then...)

First off, thank you all for your input.

I've always created my sections from the design layers...until just now. I actually didn't realize I could make the section from a viewport. I created the section I wanted from a floor plan viewport and it worked like a charm. This is curious because it hasn't been working. So, just to verify, I went back to my design layer (from the viewport) and the section tool messed up again. For whatever reason, I can only create the section from the viewport. I guess this is a bug?

This is definitely not the first time I've had issues with VW and big files. Often times, everything will 'disappear' when I'm zooming on a design layer. They are gone until I navigate away from that design layer and back to it (thank God for saved views...). I'm assuming this new issue is related to VW's inability to manipulate large files.

I must also save frequently because VW likes to crash when I'm doing heavy renderings, manipulating whole buildings, or just because it's tired.

I have to say that, although I love VW compared to other drawing programs, there is something wrong between my VW and this mac my boss loves. But, in the end, this forum is once again my saving grace!

I'll have to go back to 2010 and try navigating from a SLVP to a design layer to create a section line to see if it works.

For what it's worth, 49 MB isn't a big file for VW. Files sizes 3 to 6 times that size are not uncommon. Especially with 'save viewport cache' turned on.

In my experience, VW crashes and slowdowns are almost always caused by a "bad" piece of geometry. Remove or replace the geometry and the performance immediately improves to normal. I still have and still use a laptop with far lower specs than your machine and it has no problems w/ VW.

mk