Strange Classes

After importing some dwg site plans and reorganizing the classes, I get classes such as:saved sheet 1,saved sheet 2, saved sheet 3, etc.

Also if I reference a floor plan to another drawing, I might get classes such as: window symbol "W etc." window symbol "W etc." ( names of windows symbols from the floor plan).

What are they? Gremlins?VW Arch. 9.5.1 Win 2000 Pro Thanks

Giovanni These are the names of the classes?If you switch to those classes and make them the active only class, are there any objects in them?

Does this only happen on files that are imported dxf/dwg files?

Yes, those are the classes' names :

Saved Sheet: 9, 8 etc.

The saved sheet happened with an imported dwg, the window symbol name was just a reference of a floor plan on an elevation sheet.

Doesn't seem to be anything in the Saved Sheet classes, yet if you purge the file, they don't go away.

Giovanni, The classes you are having when importing the DWG files, if you make those the active only class and set the layers to show/snap modify others, do you see any objects in there ?It could be a component of the dwg import. The way autocad classifies their drawings vs. ours and where the "different" things go as far as creating new classes.

Now as for the referenced documents - Are either of the documents converted from VW 8.x ?What version were the drawings created in ?

Katie,

DWG drawings: I cannot find anything assigned to these classes, yet they cannot be purged. I even did a custom selection to find them, nothing.

I don't think they came with the DWG because their names are in Capital first letter and then lower case while usually the imported layers became all upper case. Also I doubt the DWG file has layers called Saved Sheet : 7 Saved Sheet: 8 etc.

The referenced files: you are right, they were done in VW 8.5.2.

Can you send in the imported dwg file problem file please? (tech@nemetschek.net - attn katie)

The refrenced files - did you convert the VW 8 files to VW 9 files and then update to v2 objects before creating the reference?

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, ALREADY!

This is obviously a case of a corrupt drawing. Importing AutoCAD always carries this risk, one which has not been really FIXED by NNA. It's been around since at least 8.0.

Usually, though, the situation has been one in which class names took on the names of symbols. Purging unused classes removed those names, deleted all instances of that symbol, and left you with blank class names. Imported AutoCAD wasn't always the only culprit. If you cancel making a new class while in the naming dialog, you'll get a blank class also.

Recommendation:Unless the following would cost you tons of production time, do not import AutoCAD stuff. Pull your VW stuff into the CAD drawings, re-assign attributes to the CAD elements, copy and paste them into a blank drawing, then copy and paste into a template of your own.

Also, don't rely on the VW8 -to-VW9 translator. NNA still hasn't fixed it 100%. Translate a 8.x drawing to 9, then copy the elements to a fresh 9 drawing.

P.S.NNA has likely not had a ton of reports about this behaviour except from me, whereas the majority of users report little or no problem with imported material. However, I know for a fact that 80% of the CAD people at our office haven't noticed the bugs I've caught. There are many script issues I'll never even see. i.e. not all users look at the product as closely or in the same way as others.

quote:

Originally posted by TiTaNiuM sAMuRai:
From importing dwg's, not dxf's. Importing into blank (but not fresh i.e. classes set up ) or filled drawings.

Problems begin to appear a week after.

We recommend (and used to require) that you import into a completely blank document (with just the page setup changed), and then reference that into a different document if you want.

DXF and DWG should give exactly the same results. The OpenDWG library converts both to the same data and we operate on that data without considering whether it came from a DXF or DWG file.

If you can send me any files that might help track it down i can look into it, but i've never seen anything like this and can't duplicate it currently.

quote:

Originally posted by TiTaNiuM sAMuRai:
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, ALREADY!

This is obviously a case of a corrupt drawing. Importing AutoCAD always carries this risk, one which has not been really FIXED by NNA. It's been around since at least 8.0....NNA has likely not had a ton of reports about this behaviour except from me, whereas the majority of users report little or no problem with imported material.

Actually i have no reports of any problems like this in DXF from anyone. Does it appear when importing into a completely blank document, or just in documents that have been modified (saved sheets, classes, other settings, regardless of whether or not there are any objects placed in the drawing) ?