Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel and VW 9.0.1

Mouse: Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel (M-RK53)Driver: Logitech MouseWare 9.42.1VW Version: 9.0.1

After several hours of use, the mouse tracking in VW becomes very coarse and jumpy. Tracking in other apps is still OK. Restarting gets rid of the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you solve it?

Jay

When the icons and buttons start to turn black, you have a memory/resource problem.

VectorWorks uses alot of memory to run. If you have alot of other programs open, or you have alot of applications/processes running in the background thru the msconfig file, then you are bound to run into memory/resource related problems.

When things start to slow down drastically, the mouse starts to get delayed, tool bars disappear, buttons disaapear or tunr black, it's time to restart. When you restart, only launch the programs that are necessary while using VW.

You can go to Start>Run and type in msconfig and click OK. This will bring up a MS Configuration Utility dialog screen. Click on the Startup Tab to the right. If you have alot of programs checkmarked here, you may experiece a conflict or resource management problem. This is more of a problem on WIN 95/98/ME than NT/2000/XP.

If you are using 95, 98 or ME, I suggest only checkmarking the applications and processed that are necessary. If you remove the checkmark from an application, such as Real Player for example, you are not removing Real Player - you are just telling the program not to launch it when the computer starts up. The list of checkmarked items are all applications and processes that are running at all times in the background. Say you have a CD burner and you have that application checkmarked here. That program is running all the time in the background. Ususally you do not need this to be running all the time, only when you are burning Cds. When you need to use the program, simply launch the program from the application folder or start menu.

Removing unnecessary processes from the Startup will greatly increase your memory management and allow you to work in programs for longer amounts of stable time.

Please note, if you are not sure about what one of processes listed is, I wouldn't remove the checkmark from it as some of those items are necessary for the OS to function.

Katie,

We already had a few things disabled, but I found a few more that we can disable at least temporarily. We're down to the stuff windows needs (like power profile, system tray, etc.) and the wireless mouse and keyboard drivers.

Also, we are going to upgrade to VW version 9.5.1.

I suspect memory and/or resources also, but it seems strange that the mouse continues to work fine in other applications even after VW starts having problems. Then again, I've been using Windows long enough that nothing should surprise me <g>.

I use the same mouse with my Mac G4, and although I haven't experienced the behavior you describe, I have on several occasions had the fun of the vertical scrolling suddenly locking up in VectorWorks, so that the drawing zooms out of sight and the sliders don't respond to efforts to stop it. I've been able to arrest this "feature" by initiating force quit and then cancelling. (When the mouse starts to crawl around on the mousepad by itself, I'm going to go back to a hard-wired one).

We haven't noticed icons turning black. The PC in question has 512 MB RAM and 70+ GB free hard drive space. It is using Win 98, though, and it does take 1 to 2 hours (or more) before the problem appears.

Also, I should clarify that by restarting I meant restarting Windows; restarting VW doesn't help.

I don't think there are any unnecessary tasks running, but I will check again to make sure.

Jay

Jay, If the problem fixes itself with restarting the computer, then it is a memory management/resource problem.

What other programs do you have running while VW is open? In the systems tray, (icons by the clock in the lower right hand corner), what do you have running there?

How many items do you have checkmarked in the msconfig file under the startup tab?

The icons missing and turning black is when resources are getting really really low. That's the end of the road and you must restart the computer usually.