iMac feedback

Kizza

Hi there all 27" imac users.

Thinking about updating my aging white imac to an i7 aluminium 27" imac.

Have any users been hampered by the gloss screens when used for architectural work? Have they resulted in eye strain and fatigue over long periods of use? Have reflections and glare been a distraction?

I two 27", glossy-screen iMacs. At my home office, where there are no windows behind me, I have not had ANY problems. At my other office, though, position of the screen became extremely important because I had a window over my left shoulder. This created quite a bit of glare and reflections. I ultimately moved the machine so that I had no windows behind me. On bright days, I still have some reflections but barely notice them.

One thing to note. Working with a black background makes this problem much worse. I work with another CAD application that works best with a black background and the glare/reflections are much more noticeable.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck.

Hi Kizza-

I don't have any trouble with font size. You can change the display font size for the finder by right clicking on the desktop and selecting "show view options". This lets you adjust font and icon sizes on your desktop. Within vectorworks, all menu font sizes are fine for me. The extra screen real-estate just means less scrolling and zooming in and out for me. (saves time)

Hope that helps.

So I bought a 27" iMac i7 about 10 days ago.

Today I returned it. I have a window in front of my computer and a mirrored wardrobe behind me. The reflections coming from behind me and too great to ignore.

I could frost the mirrored wardrobe doors or replace them.

Then I thought, "Why should I renovate my office to suit a computer?"

So it went back. It is a lovely machine and, as has been pointed out in this thread, if you have a light source behind you as you sit then glare probably will be a problem