Surface Hatches

I have been using the extract surface tool to make hatched wall elevations in an external elevation viewport. (Nice feature).

However I am unable to get the hatches to display when using the cut section viewport, for example a sectional elevation of a tiled internal wall.

Am i missing something or does the cut section viewport not display planar surface hatches.

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

Sorry - missed that this was a section viewport. If you edit the advanced properties of the section viewport and click on Attributes, you can choose to display the original attributes of objects for the cut plane. But your extracted surface will not be the cut plane. you should be able to see the objects beyond the cut plane, if you have chosen to do so. You can choose if these objects should show their original attributes..

Hope that helps

Hi Tamsin

Thanks for the help but. To experiment I have set up two viewports side by side, one a Viewport of the model in elevation with display planar objects enabled. The other a Section Viewport with display objects beyond viewport enabled. On the model I have created a hatched surface object. In the Viewport (elevation) this displays as intended but in the Section Viewport it will not display. In both viewports class visibilities and overides are set identically and the depth range of the section is set to infinite

I have tried your suggestion of making adjustments in the advanced properties palette eg use original fill for objects beyond the section plane to no avail.

Looks like yet another thread for the wish list.

Thanks for the help Tamsin and bc. None of those ideas work. However there is a workaround for anyone who encounters this problem

If you fill the extracted surface with a hatch from the Modify>Hatch menu command (this will result in a group of lines rather than a fill) and then convert the group with Convert>Convert to 3d polygons. The hatch will then display in the section viewport. However as it is now a group of polygons the attribute mapping tool cannot be used with consequences for workflow if the hatch needs to be revised later.

The fact that a hatched polygon (outline or fill) cannot be seen in the section viewport is surely an omission that should be addressed in the next SP if anyone from NNA is reading

Regards