Soliciting user experience for VW on Lion

Hello Forum-ers,

I'd like to know from those who have upgraded to Mac OS X Lion 10.7 about your experience, so far, with VW and any components/plug-ins/add-ons. I am considering the upgrade but I believe Nemetschek has not completely signed off on compatibility just yet, and I want to better understand the current situation. I have read some sparse comments on the forums, but I am hoping for a wholly dedicated 10.7 thread.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am specifically interested in data exchange with Lightwright if any fits that profile. Also, do you notice any performance gains or slow downs?

> to Christiaan - yes, I agree with you about a .0 release, definitely, but I think this forum is the best place to assemble real user experience as some of us move forward on the new OS. Maybe this thread will be useful beyond .0

I've been testing VW2008 on my two home machines (iMac and Macbook) running Lion...it's definitely more unstable than under Snow Leopard....had a few crashes when opening multiple files.

The natural (reverse) scrolling is interesting...I love it generally outside of VW (after the first twenty minutes of frustration). Inside of VW I also found I had an initial period of frustration that the zooming was now reversed...but it actually makes sense....pull toward you to zoom in....push away to zoom out...once you fix this in your head you won't go back!

I would recommend a touch mouse or trackpad though...the logic doesn't really hold with a wheel mouse...although I have installed Scroll Reverser on my Snow Leopard machine at work for consistency...

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris

I was interested to searhc and read your post. Can you tell me any other trackpad gestures for VW. I've found the pull, push for zoom and holding down the Command and alt keys allows you to move the page around. I'm looking for an option to pick up and move an object without the double tapping. Would be good to hear more.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Chris

I was interested to searhc and read your post. Can you tell me any other trackpad gestures for VW. I've found the pull, push for zoom and holding down the Command and alt keys allows you to move the page around. I'm looking for an option to pick up and move an object without the double tapping. Would be good to hear more.

Thanks

Matt

Not sure I'm best placed to answer...my work machine is Snow Leopard with a wheel mouse running VW2008....

..but, I am running 2008 at home on Lion with a trackpad on my Macbook and with a magic mouse on my iMac, but only for an hour or two a week. I'm fixed on natural scrolling...would not go back, and the pull to zoom in VW is also becoming second nature now too. There's no support in 2008 for pinch to zoom, or panning (except with the space bar), or other multitouch..but I've no idea whether this is in 2011? Maybe the 2012 announcement this week will include something.

• 1 month later...

How is everyone getting VW 2008 to run under Lion?

The VW icon in the dock & application folder has the circle & slash & when I try to open the app or a file it says something like....

you can't open the application because Power PC apps are no longer supported.

What tricks are you using to get it to run?

Thanks for any help!

• 2 months later...

For the record, I'm hitting a wall with Windows7 users whose shared VW files are on a MacOS X Lion server.

Some users can open VW files, others who try to open the exact same file get a Vectorworks dialog stating, "This is an unrecognized file. It may be a Vectorworks file created by a newer version of the application. It may be a very old MiniCAD file. It may have been created by another appliaction, or it may have been corrupted by a hardware or system error." If the file is moved to the users' desktop, it opens normally.

Not seeing many threads on this issue, so am really hoping for insights or experience from the broarder VW community. Ack!

For the record, I'm hitting a wall with Windows7 users whose shared VW files are on a MacOS X Lion server.

Some users can open VW files, others who try to open the exact same file get a Vectorworks dialog stating, "This is an unrecognized file. It may be a Vectorworks file created by a newer version of the application. It may be a very old MiniCAD file. It may have been created by another appliaction, or it may have been corrupted by a hardware or system error." If the file is moved to the users' desktop, it opens normally.

OS X server strips the file association from VW files...we even get this message downloading our own template files from our OS X wiki server (10.6)!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an odd problem since upgrading to Lion. My cursor is offset from its graphical pointer. The tool icon (pointer) appears about 1/4" higher on screen than it is functionally in the software. In order to mouse over an object I have to compensate for this difference, positioning the cursor 1/4" above the object I am trying to select. Not really a dealbreaker, but pretty disconcerting while working.

If I go to preferences and select "Full screen cursor", the cross hairs of the Full Screen Cursor appear offset from the tool icon as well. That is to say, the full screen cursor is correctly located with respect to the software functionality.

I'm fairly sure this is a VW problem as it doesn't occur when working in other apps or in the OS. Also, it doesn't seem to affect VW dialog boxes, palettes, etc. It's really only while working in the main window of VW. Anyone else see this strange behavior?

• 2 weeks later...