Tree display options

Is there any options within vectorworks that will allow me to trim edges of the trees that intersect each other?

We have a grouping of trees with intersecting canopies and I was hoping to find a way to make the interesecting edges basically disappear, leaving only the outline of the entire grouping of trees. Any ideas?

AV

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It looks as though you did not place the plants in a group, rather placed them individually. Choose the modes that follow the single plant mode and the massing should occur and the shadows will too. You do not have to check the mass plants in the definition...but the enable 2D plant rendering does need to be checked in the object information palette.

The second mode of the Place Plant tool, Poly-Vertex placement mode allows you to draw a polygon and place a plant precisely at each vertex. I think you do need to edit the definition however under the Render tab to Mass Overlapping plants in addition to checking the 2d plant rendering tab in the OIP as Eric says.

If you are using the symbols provided within the plant Objects and Plant Objects 02 files, I would NOT recommend using Mass Overlapping Plants. This hides everything within the plant symbol other than the rearmost polyline. So, if you want to retain colour and you have that somewhere else in the symbol, you'll lose it.

Instead, use the symbols provided in the two files I list above, and use the Plant-Components-Outline class to hide the individual outlines and then use Modify>Show>Show or Hide Plant Styles to render. This will draw in the sketchy outlines around each group. But you must use a placement mode other than Single Plant Placement.

Hope that helps.

Any of the symbols provided in the Plant Objects and Plant Objects02 files (that come with Landmark), contain Interior Linework in its own class. But if you use Mass Overlapping Plants, you will lose all of this. Instead, use the method I mention above. Do NOT check Mass Overlapping Plants on the Plant Definition. Place your plants and then use the Navigation palette to turn off the Plants-Components-Outline class. This works a treat.

Ileaving only the outline of the entire grouping of trees. Any ideas?

AV

Controlling the interior linework via Class Visibilities is effective (and arguably more elegant), Mass Overlapping Plants also satisfies the original post for outline only or is there something undesirable about it?

No - only that I get a lot of users contacting me puzzled that they have lost other graphic elements in the symbol because they have rendered their plants. They only want the massing effect and want to retain other elements, like colour and linework.