Appearance of DTM in Renderworks

I seem to always have problems with DTMs but this one has got me stumped. See attached screenshots.

I have a DTM created from a surveyor's list of spot elevations. Looks good in plan view, great in fact. Just what I want and expected.

When I render this is OpenGL, it still looks fine.

But when I render it in Renderworks, fast or otherwise, it breaks up. Holes appear, some of the 3D polygon shapes become thin sheets, some don't shop up at all it seems.

I suspect this is because some of the contours are stacked almost on top of one another which I know is a no-no. But why does it work or look OK in OpenGL but not Renderworks.

Any one got any ideas?

You might see that kind of openings and plates in the DTM if the source points/contours are far from your drawing origin. Imported AutoCAD data often appears hundreds of thousands of meters from the VW drawing origin. For a test, copy your 3d contour polys from your current drawing, click and paste near the center of a new, blank VW drawing and create a DTM. Render to see what you get.

Just moving the DTM close to origin of VW drawing does not solve. The source objects have to move close to origin.

-B

Benson, yes, indeed the points have x and y coordinates in the millions of units; the surveyor's list came from an Autocad file I assume.

I did do as you suggest; well, I copied the DTM into an empty file but the same issue happens on rendering.

How do I get the 3D contours as standalone objects from a DTM to do as you suggest?

Peter, I did try the Mesh Solid and it does look a lot better, not broken up, etc. But I do prefer the look of the 3D contours.

You could try to select all of the 3d polys from which the Site Model is made, then copy them, then paste them into a new clean file, then (in the new file) make sure that the origin is more or less centered in the middle of the site. If this solves the problem then at least you have a possible solution. That said I would be very careful about moving (or resetting) the origin in the original file. I recommend first doing a Save-As so that you have an unmodified file to return to should the origin move cause problems...

How do I get the 3D contours as standalone objects from a DTM to do as you suggest?

It is convenient to have DTM source objects (point cloud from survey text data, 3d polys or NURBS, site modifiers) on a different layer from the DTM. The separation can be made after the DTM is created. Perhaps some of the distortion in your scene is from the source objects rendering on top of the DTM if they are on same layer.

If you cannot find the source objects, try this: Switch layer view to Active Only. Create a new layer with same scale as the DTM layer. Go to your DTM layer. Click select the DTM (not marquee select or select all) and move it to the new layer via OIP Layer pulldown. Now select all in the old layer. If no objects, the source objects are on some other layer. IF you do find something, examine to see if it is the source objects for the DTM. This is the stuff which needs to be near the VW drawing origin. Copy/Paste the selection into a new file and create DTM in the new file, render and see if it helped.

Post back until you get a satisfactory solution.

-B

Oh, you beauties.

Benson, your comments did the trick. I redid everything but set it up as you suggested.

I imported the survey data and it was halfway to Europe of course. So I copied that data into a new file at the origin, 0,0, did the Site Model, made sure it was on another layer and that did it. A complete, whole, hole-less 3D contoured site.

Thanks, Peter, too for your comments. I couldn't figure out how to get the 3D contours but I don't really have any except within the Site Model itself as I started from point data (sound right to you?)

Mitch