We really need how to videos beyond the Knowledge Base.

taoist

Question

It would be a tremendous help if VW would produce How to videos of real world articles on how to use VW.

The manual does not cover the "Black Book" information everyone wants/needs to know.

Example: Extrude Along Path - Tells you what you need to use the command. Create path which to extrude along, create/select profile to use for extrude, select both the path and the profile, make sure path is selected for extrude.

It should really give a real world example, say baseboard, crown, window and door trim, countertop edge profiles, banding.

Just one example of many.

Imho

taoist

7 answers to this question

I agree, more examples of real world use are desirable. For me, the spectrum of potential uses and options is as important as the how to. Eg why should I choose a particular process/tool/command over another to accomplish the apparently same result? What are the down steam consequences of process A vs process B? Why did this NURBS conversion end up as a group and that other conversion ends up as a single NURBS surface? etc etc

But the old analogy is valid, too: When you buy a car (or other product), the seller is not responsible for teaching you how to drive or what to do in every operational or repair situation.

The VW user base (yourself included) is very generous in this and other forums. This is a fantastic asset for users and the corporation - free tech support! Some users are particularly skilled and generous (compensation? Free license?)

A variation to your suggestion: Add a new format, or morph this forum into a searchable video library fed by both NNA and end users? youtube style or actually on youtube? This could be facilitated by a video capture module in the software, but the 3rd party options are OK for now.

Anyway, thank you taoist for bringing this up again.

-B

A good start would be to add a "Tutorials" section in the Resource Sharing area, in addition to Textures, Symbols, Hatches, etc. And propagate it with some in-house NNA generated, short tutorials. They could be either video or old style PDF, preferably a mixture, so there's something for everyone. VW users could also contribute tutorials. In fact, I would expect most of the tutorials be created by users. C4D Cafe has this, as do most modeling software forums. All of those forums are user created/maintained. We are very lucky that NNA created and maintains this forum. And has "officials" drop in every once in a while, too. No other forum does that. And I appreciate it. But it would be a very nice addition to have a place to post and read tutorials for a bunch of different real-world situations. I know I would make the effort to contribute at least some short, basic tutorials to it.

Monadnoc

Benson,

All software (within reason) should be fairly intuitive to use.

If we have to spend money for training videos or ask all kinds of questions because the manual does not give real world examples, then the vendors have failed in my opinion.

I can understand for specialized training the need for videos.

All software should come with some sort of training include as to how to use their product with real world examples.

We as end users should not have to go to Forums (bless them as they are here) to figure out how to do what in our industry is a basic need.

That is, draw a house or building.... complete. Outside to inside. Turnkey.

That is what we expect to be able to do as well as our clients.

Make changes on the fly. This is after all 2011, not 1980.

I love VW but it is lacking in areas.

Imho

taoist

More commentary:

It's OK, taoist. I am on the same side. "Free" resources are desirable. More is better. But, we may have reached a limit. Software sales have to support the whole enterprise, not just the educational materials. This software seems reasonably priced. More resources means less attention to the software development or higher price.

Existing free materials include completed building designs with drawings, worksheets, symbol libraries, etc. There are webinars and podcasts, too. Some free.

Video library is a fine concept, but if it is huge, how do you find what you want? What if extrude along path is one solution for you, but you don't know its name or that it even exists? How much time do you have for finding and watching the wrong videos? How many appropriate ones are there? Which is the best for which request? Digital search is only as good as the search terms.

This user forum is much better than a "complete" library. It's available 24/7. Real people with awesome experience and skill try to figure out what is needed and provide several ways to accomplish distilled to fit the questioner's ability and equipment. Adding video to the responses in addition to the text and static file posting would be totally awesome, both for questions and responses.

Students complain that the teacher and texts don't tell whats on the test. Teachers complain that the students want it on a plate - they don't pay attention in class and don't ask the right questions, and expect the teaching materials to address the test answers, rather than the underlying concepts.

Intuitive?

Not easily defined. Not all users have same capabilities, tolerances, patience to learn and apply the functions. Is pencil drawing intuitive? You move your hand, press harder or lighter, follow the conventions - oops, the conventions are a construct. They vary. This is all learned behavior anyway, not intuitive.

Spend money?

There are tons of free resources out there, from users and from NNA. The for-fee resources are also good. Same as with other software.

Should not have to go to forums?

see above

Draw a building complete is basic need.

Not me. I am a long time user, but have never done that, nor needed to. Architectural focus of the software makes those tools and processes particularly useful. VW is many things to many users. NNA cannot and should not have to anticipate and answer all users' needs, abilities, tolerances, etc. No other pro level software does so either, does it?

-B