Adding HDRI Backgrounds

Bruce,

To add a background to the list create a Renderworks Background resource in the Resource Browser. When you create it you have the option of creating an HDRI background (Image Environment) or a regular background (Image). Both will show up in the list once created. To be an HDRI background, the source image file has to have been created as an HDR file.

The regular backgrounds just serve as a backdrop to your scene, they don't provide any light to it. An HDRI background can be a backdrop AND provide light, or just provide light (and not be seen) or just be a backdrop without providing light.

Monadnoc

Edited by Monadnoc

Good question. I've never tried using a regular background, so I just gave it a go. It lets you select it, then after you hit OK (and think everything is fine), it gives you an error message and you have to go back and do it over. Not a very well thought out interface. Nor logical. Nor elegant. And definitely not intuitive. And it wastes time. Precious time. I would think it took MORE programming to do it the way it is, rather than just allow files with the extension".hdr" to show up in the list.

Go figure ...

Monadnoc

Pat,

I found them in /Applications/Vectorworks 2011/Library/Defaults/Renderworks - Backgrounds. The SimpleSky.vwx file has text info explaining how to use the file, the HDRI Backgrounds.vwx has a sky image, but I see no way to alter it, and the Renderworks Backgrounds.vwx file appears to be empty. I see how to add new backgrounds in the resource browser, but not how to remove individual default backgrounds. I have to agree with Monadnoc's conclusions above.