VW 2011 Freezes during zooming with OSX 10.6.8

Office had 5 workstations running 10.5.8 with VW 2011 smoothly. After one station upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6.8) it began to have freezing problems when zooming. Our apple tech could not diagnose the problem. I upgraded to 10.6.8 last week and now experience the same problem. We are tentative about upgrading other workstations until the issue is resolved. It seems that if we turn off quartz imaging the problem stops, this is not a longterm solution for us. As a test I installed 10.6.8 on my laptop and then installed VW 2011 upgrade, and I can recreate the freezing upon zooming there too (both in design layer views & sheet views). Are you are familiar with this freeze/crash and can it be solved?

See error report here:

http://pastebin.com/fKYPkPPM

Edited by Tarynn

I am new at this Community Board and I noticed that there are a lot of people posting and commenting. I haven't received any feedback on this VW freeze/crash problem and we have contacted Tech Support. Their response suggested that the issue might spring from installing VW on the old system then upgrading to Snow Leopard, and to try uninstalling VW it then reinstalling it. Given that we are experiencing the same problem on 3 different machines all upgraded to Snow Leopard & VW 2011 in different sequences I don't think this will be the fix. What do I explore next?

I'm not seeing a freeze on zoom with VW2011 SP4. But I'm on a laptop.

There is often a hesitation while the screen redraws, a fraction of a second. There are occasional scroll wheel zooms which hide some of the objects until I scroll back a notch or two, but then I can zoom back in (graphics card? mouse driver?). There are also zooms which exceed the zoom capability (graphics card?) and I get a blank screen until I zoom back, but this is only extreme zoom - into millions of %. None of these are new to VW2011 or SP4 or Snow Leopard.

More description might yield more for more forum responses.

Scroll wheel zoom? Key zoom? Zoom Tool? Snap Loupe? All zooms?

Is this a system freeze? VW only? Solved by restart? Relaunch? by zoom out? by just waiting?

Could peripheral devices/drivers or other software be involved - mouse? There was a recent post about a problem with SketchUp running at same time, but Idon't think it was a zoom issue.

Is this a networked config?

Anyway, good luck and keep trying here for answers.

-B

Thank you for your response Benson! Here is some more info:

I do experience the hesitation, some objects hiding for a moment, and some objects disappearing when I zoom in too far. These are things that we all probably experience... I just accept them as part of "pushing the limits".

What we are puzzled by in our office is the consistency of the freeze/crash on these different machines (desk and laptops- all macs- all running the same version of Vectorworks and OSX). It freezes mostly when we use the scroll on the mouse (we have several different mice including the tracking pad on the lap) and when one uses the zoom tool (little magnifying glass) but not during a command 4 (see page) or command 6 (see all selected/drawn). I am not familiar with other zooms. We can not recreate the problem when we turn off Quartz Imaging & Anti-Aliasing in the VW Preference Window (but working without smooth lines, text, and transparency really stinks).

VW is the only program that stops functioning and a force quit and application restart seems to get things going again, until another freeze. I saw the SketchUp post and found that very interesting, and considered other devices/programs as possible issues. However, my home laptop is not connected to work in any way and does not have other similar programs.

So I did a little test again that went like this...

- Opened a new blank file. Added a jpeg image. No Problem!

- Added some of the common fonts in our files. No Problem!

- Tried to add our Custom Title Block, and it froze.

- Opened an existing file and deleted the Title Block. No Problem!

So I think I have found the culprit, but how it is related to Quartz Imaging I don't know? And why it worked when used on OSX 10.5 I don't know either? And remaking all our files and title blocks for countless sheets and projects makes me nauseous. I have a blank file w/ a custom title block to attach that maybe someone could try, but I am not sure how to attach it?

I have no idea why a title block would do that. Perhaps there is a texture in your logo and the new C4D render engine can't translate it?

Files attach in the full reply screen (button at bottom of a thread's reply area) via the File Manager.

click the File Manager (blue text near bottom of window)

click Choose File and browse to the file you want to attach

Select the file and click Choose

click Add File

Click Done adding files.

-B

I can zoom that file as deep as I want with no probs yet. But maybe this is a font related problem:

When I opened your file VW mapped 3 or 4 of your fonts to Arial- not available on my system, I guess. I clicked through the dialog so do not remember the fonts, but I think one was a german looking name - meslerschmit or something.

Deleted your file, downloaded again from your post. But no font message now. Must be cached. I will see if I can clear it and get the font map list for you.

-B

I will investigate the fonts! We do have some unique ones and I was suspect of them earlier, but unable to link them to the problem outside of a title block, now I will try them individually inside the block! Thanks Benson, your help thus far is much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

An update: Fonts that we purchased to use in our office years ago must not be supported when running a combination of new software and tools. With OS 10.6.8, VW2011, and complex objects (such as Custom Title Blocks) - certain fonts (Optane and Din for us) cause the program to crash. We are in the process of redesigning our company title block and logo to only utilize standard fonts and hopefully eliminate future problems. Thanks Benson for all the troubleshooting - it is very much appreciated!