Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

VectorWorks Installation Directory

Hi all,

This is not something directly related to VS development but I think it's something regarding general development and can be of help to some other people.

The main goal I'd like to accomplish is to automatically copy a custom plug-in in the Vectorworks plugins directory.

So, here is the question: is there a way to know the installation directory of vectorworks on windows? Something like a registry key or an environment variable would be very useful, but I was not able to find any of these.

Anyone can help me for this?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Jack,

My plug-in installer finds the VW install with reg:HKLM\Software\Nemetchek\VectorWorks,Path.

The "correct" installation for custom plug-ins is in the user application data folder. In VS, you can retrieve this via GetFolderPath(-2). You should be able to get your user application data folder either via an installer script or just knowing the constant. Then append "\Nemetschek\VectorWorks\2011\Plug-Ins" changing 2011 to be whatever version you're using.

-Josh

Thanks a lot Josh,

I'll change the plugin installation directory with the one you pointed out.

As for the registry key, somehow, I am missing the Path key you mentioned. I mean, I have the whole VectorWorks folder, but it is empty.

I'll uninstall VW and then reinstall it again to see if this solves my issue.

Jack