How to import images (jpeg, bmp, etc..) / textures to create libraries ?

Example: Need to get an image of a tile from DalTile for project I am working on.

Do this a lot as we show our clients as much as possible in 3D for visualization.

What is the best way to go about this and save the image to build a library file?

taoist

You don't actually import them through the file menu.

You just "import" them when the texture is created. The only time you see the word "import", curiously enough, is when an image texture is edited and the original image is replaced. Then the option is to "Import an Image File" or "Reuse an Image From Another Resource". When the texture is created you are just asked to navigate to the image file.

Once the texture is created, it lives in the RB like any other resource.

mk

taoist,

If you use the File > Import > Import Image File process, you're just bringing in a bitmap image as an object in the drawing file. You can use it to trace over, etc. But it will not show up in the Resource Browser, nor can you apply it to anything. To have it show in the RB (and be able to be applied to something), you need to right-click in the RB and choose "New Resource in [file name] > and choose either "Image", "Renderworks Background", or "Renderworks Texture". All of those will allow you to import a bitmap image to be used within the resource based on what kind of resource it is. I am not very familiar with "Image" resources yet, but it is my impression they are only for 2D objects. If you want to apply a tile pattern to a 3d floor/slab, I think you would want to create a Texture Resource. Once you have the Edit Texture dialog box open, most of the options should be self explanatory. You can import an image into several areas - Color, Transparency, Reflectivity, or Bump. You also set the Size by the image (it will preload it for you). For most textures, especially tile flooring, you probably only need the image in the Color channel, and maybe also in the Bump channel (as a Black & White or Greyscale image) to simulate depth/grout depressions. You will have to repeat this process for each individual Texture you want to create - there is no way to batch import a bunch of images and create textures out of them that I know of. In VW, or any other 3D app. But someone else may know a way to do that, or an app that does that. I don't. At least you only have to import the image once, and then it is available when you create any of the other resources that utilize bitmap images in their creation. Just choose "Reuse an Image From Another Resource", from the "Image" > "Choose Image" dialog box when you're making the new resource.

To confuse the process further, you can also import an image as an "Image Prop", but that's not done through the Resource Browser, that's done through the menu Model > Create Image Prop command.

Once you have all your Textures created, save the file, make it a Favorite or put it into one of the VW Library folders so you can easily access it from the RB for future use.

HTH

Monadnoc

Edited by Monadnoc

michaelk,

How do you like Pixplant? I've been thinking of buying it. Do you think it's worth it? I currently manually create seamless textures in Photoshop using the Offset filter and High Pass filter. But it is time consuming and often far from perfect. If I could find a program that does it well automatically, it would be worth the $$$. And on a Mac.

Do you think Pixplant is better and/or easier than Filter Forge? I'm not even sure how one uses Filter Forge to create seamless textures, but that seems to be what most people use/recommend.

Thanks.

Monadnoc

OK Thanks.

So I need to import (1) image at a time.

Use RB to select new image.

Once I have all the images I can then save in a blank document, name it and I will have the images for future use.

Then create texture resources of these images for a more realistic look.

I should still be able to apply the imported image(s) to a 3D object. May need to use bitmap tool to get mapping correct.

Need to use for renderings for kitchens and bathrooms as most of what I do is interiors.

taoist

taoist,

I think my first line may have been a little confusing - you don't want/need to use File > Import > Import Image File at all. That serves a different purpose. In order for you to use your images as Textures and/or Image Fills, you need to create a new Resource in the RB and import the image file as part of the process of creating the new resource. Whether it be a Texture, Background, Image, etc.

Then save the file for your library.

Monadnoc