How to build a set piece symbol so each instance has new image?

Does anyone know how to build a symbol, where the texture/image can be modified on an individual basis, not a global basis?

I have a custom scenic piece that is comprised of 2 parts. A frame and a fabric skin. I want to be able to change the texture on the skin yet keep the frame texture constant.

Similar to Andrew Dunnigs' Video screen idea with a fixed frame but modifiable image selection for the screen.

I tried using class applied textures to the frame only and then applying my image texture to the whole symbol. FAIL Texture applied across all pieces.

Thank you all?

Yes.

Inside the symbol duplicate the screen as many times as you need images. Put each screen object in its own class. Make all the screen classes invisible.

Now holding command and hitting right and left arrow while in OpenGL rendering mode will scroll you through the images. (see attachment)

The solution is trivial for one object. More complicated for many objects.

For more than one object, create a new symbol for each instance. Probably wise to create a frame symbol and nest it. Then each class contains a set of screens across all the symbols with different textures.

hth

mk

ps. file is over 5mb. If you're interested I can email it to you

One idea: Use a nested symbol or a group - Make the frame a symbol, make the skin another symbol, select them both and make a symbol of the two symbols. The combo symbol has no texture, the skin and frame have their appropriate textures. Or, the combo could be a group instead of a symbol, but then it's harder to track in wire frame because the group cannot be named.

In the Resource Browser, you can select and edit the skin symbol to change its texture. This will change the image on every instance of the skin, but will not affect the frame instances.

If you need several different skin textures at same time, you will need a separate skin symbol for each texture. But you can duplicate the first symbol, and assign a new texture as needed. Rename these duplicates with a scheme that allows you to tell which is which in OIP, worksheets, etc

-B

Andy -

Here's an out-there idea: If the texture of your set piece can glow, you could create your piece as a Symbol and let VS4-Television or Spotlight's Television "see" it as a television model (See the VS4 documentation for directions in doing that.) and place it, letting the tool create screen content as your textured fabric. Each PIO instance could then display a different texture.

Like I said, out-there, but a potential option...?

Andrew,

This is actually the direction I wanted to go. So thank you. However I don't understand how to let the object "See" the VS class. Where do I find that documentation you referred.

I am happy to read the documentation, just don't know where to find it.

Thank you again,

Sincerely,

Andy

Michaels idea of multiple classes inside a single symbol will only work if you only need to show one symbol at a time.

Symbols are designed so that every instance is the same.

What you really need is Plug-In Objects instead of symbols. That way you get the benefit of parts being the same, but each instance having parameters that can be changed.

How many objects are you talking about? How complicated are the objects? Is this a one-time thing, or is this something that will be used over and over? Do you only need the 3D or do they need to be hybrid objects that show differently in Plan view.

The answers to the above questions will help determine if it makes sense to try and make PIOs or not.