Dutch gables

Still a bit of a question though.

Probably nomenclature but I thought there was a difference between a dutch hip and a dutch gable. Original post asked about a dutch gable and Peter shows a dutch hip.

I have sketched a simplified roof form comparison which I attached. Could someone set me straight if I am wrong?

Thanks. I just might have been living an illusion....but I thought a dutch gable was a gable that was truncated and a dutch hip was a gable basically attached to a hip roof.

Edited by bc

Thanks taoist for the insight.

Sorry if my hand sketched perspective mislead.

What I called a dutch gable (my drawing on the right) is really a truncated gable not a double hip. See attached elevation:

Edited by bc
Still a bit of a question though.

Probably nomenclature but I thought there was a difference between a dutch hip and a dutch gable. Original post asked about a dutch gable and Peter shows a dutch hip.

I have sketched a simplified roof form comparison which I attached. Could someone set me straight if I am wrong?

Thanks. I just might have been living an illusion....but I thought a dutch gable was a gable that was truncated and a dutch hip was a gable basically attached to a hip roof.

The Dutch Gable type you are suggesting is actually a Mansard type roof.

Edited by Bob-H