NEED A CAD ENGINEER!

I'm looking for a CAD engineer for a contract-to-permanent position with my staging company.

The initial engagement would be to convert room shells and symbols from our former CAD application (TurboCAD) to VectorWorks Spotlight. Continuing from there, we have need for a full-time employee that will assist in building diagrams for our shows.

Please contact me at Douglas.Arnett@mig.cc with resume, experience, and location.

• 5 weeks later...

Based on looking at Allan's web site, it appears he is a lighting designer, not an engineer.

I don't see anything in his posts indicating that he does anything relating to structural design. The show he put that comment into was in an indoor venue where all of the truss and rigging would have already been in place. All he did was specify which lights to hang where.

Yes, there is some calculations involved in that. No, you don't want to overload the truss, but at least in California (where the venue is located), there is no requirement for a licensed engineer to do load calculations on lighting rigs.

I don't see anything other than the term CAD Engineer that indicates there is any type of structural design involved in Douglas's original post. Read it again. They are looking for someone to modify/convert symbols between cad packages.

Those of us who follow the board closely are well aware of your desire for more/better structural engineering tools in VW. I find it annoying when you hijack a thread that has nothing to do with structural engineering/design to beat your drum.

Events like the State Fair show that there are places where it is proper or even necessary to have full engineering calculations done even on temporary structures. We all understand that.

What we do not understand is why you feel the need to browbeat another user based on (what I think) is a misinterpretation of something on an outside web site.

I am posting this of my own volition, not in my role of moderator.

As a fellow user of VW and the board, I am asking you to please consider both the how and the what of what you post before you click Submit.

Chris, the quote was a comment on a small indoor gig, so I'm not sure what the relation is to this topic.

If you still want to know what I meant by my comment, please read on: We all know that in production, things don't always happen the way we planned them to, but we make the best out of the situation and keep things in mind for the next gig.

I know the heading says "engineer", but it appears MIG could use some drafting help. Having worked briefly on different gigs in the same ballroom with a couple of standup guys with MIG, I thought it would be nice to reach out-- especially if they're looking for a draftsman.

Have I ever done something to you I don't know about?

It all boils down to different terminologies in different industries and different countries....

audio engineers, CAD engineers, train engineers, structural engineers

the legally binding building specification sent out to tender, the equipment list spec sent for a lighting rental order, the technical spec for my computer

There are some great terminology resources for theatre -

http://www.oistat.org/content.asp?path=bqpo6t7c

http://www.theatrecrafts.com/glossary.php

Kevin

:-)

What we do not understand is why you feel the need to browbeat another user based on (what I think) is a misinterpretation of something on an outside web site.

I am posting this of my own volition, not in my role of moderator.

Heres some good advice(pointers) given to me by my first year professor.When you turn up to a structural accident

1.Dont turn up in a Bentley

2.Dont wear a Zegna suit and gold Rolex

3.Dont get out of the car laughing while talking on a mobile

4.When they ask you what engineering school you went to?

Dont say anything

...you will be on the front page of tommorrows newspaper

These days they track down some photo of you drunk during your freshman years and post your engineering grades along side......from an outside website.

Hmmm... the trash talk might turn into crash talk - get the gist

• 5 months later...

Yes, there is some calculations involved in that. No, you don't want to overload the truss, but at least in California (where the venue is located), there is no requirement for a licensed engineer to do load calculations on lighting rigs.

Events like the State Fair show that there are places where it is proper or even necessary to have full engineering calculations done even on temporary structures. We all understand that.

Interestingly enough Revits now positioning itself "as a leader in 3D design, engineering and entertainment software"

I suppose this strengthens their claim.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120208/NEWS05/202080369/Breakdown-stage-collapse-violations?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|News|s

This looks interresting....

IMO....No Structural BIM->No Insurance->No permits->NO PROJECT

Exporting light fitting data by IFC doesnt cut it....without sound footings/Foundations your structure falls down.For revit strategically it makes good business sense to target VWs only weakness? Furthermore,with more reports due out on other disasters,Floods,Earthquakes,Cyclones,Fires etc etc

Structural BIM will be a must on every project.

This looks interresting....

IMO....No Structural BIM->No Insurance->No permits->NO PROJECT

Exporting light fitting data by IFC doesnt cut it....without sound footings/Foundations your structure falls down.For revit strategically it makes good business sense to target VWs only weakness? Furthermore,with more reports due out on other disasters,Floods,Earthquakes,Cyclones,Fires etc etc

Structural BIM will be a must on every project.

Not sure I understand your reply to my post in the sence of relevance.

I do understand the BIM part, but I mentioned it looked interresting with regards to the original post for a work/job opportunity.

Edited by cad@sggsa
  • 2 months later...