shr

Walls on angle

Can anyone suggest how I might go about getting a wall on an angle (in the vertical). Am I best just drawing a polygon? Then I have to match it up with all my other walls and I won't be able to insert windows.

you'll have to do some solid modelling, the wall tool does not do leaning walls. a roof plane could work and you could insert skylites as windows but neither will connect with walls

Is this still not possible in 2016 somehow? Meaning, is the only way to do a wall at angle in vertical axis is to 3D model it? No tools to rotate walls in the z or x axes?

Walls cannot be rotated. A long requested feature. But remember we also want them to be viewed in 2D.

For now your solutions are – :

• You could model it, and then convert to Auto-Hybrid.
  • Or you could possibly use a Framing Member object for each component of the wall. If the 2D display is set to none, you can also convert these to an Auto-Hybrid object.

3 hours ago, Diamond said:

• You could model it, and then convert to Auto-Hybrid.
  • Or you could possibly use a Framing Member object for each component of the wall. If the 2D display is set to none, you can also convert these to an Auto-Hybrid object.

Right, so I have to use a symbol wrap, thank you @Diamond

If the wall is only on one layer, you could create a hybrid (2D/3D) symbol so that it displays correct in plan and 3D.

Alternatively, if this wall spans more than a floor, create a 3D symbol that is placed inside of the Auto-hybrid. Place the auto-hybrid on both layers, with one displaying 2D only, so you don't double up on geometry.

With Vectorworks, there are often a number of ways to get to a solution. Which is great, and a challenge all at the same time. Cheers.

Yep learning that everyday, yet when you say "auto-hybrid" you simply mean a 2D/3D hybrid symbol right? Not a special object or a plug-in object? Thanks for the explanation and solutions 

Check it in the AEC pull down menu.

Auto-hybrid is different to a hybrid symbol. It creates an object half way between a parametric object and a hybrid symbol. Very helpful, esp for elements that span multiple stories.