Walls on angle

shr

• 5 years later...

Walls cannot be rotated. A long requested feature. But remember we also want them to be viewed in 2D.

For now your solutions are – :

• You could model it, and then convert to Auto-Hybrid.
  • Or you could possibly use a Framing Member object for each component of the wall. If the 2D display is set to none, you can also convert these to an Auto-Hybrid object.

If the wall is only on one layer, you could create a hybrid (2D/3D) symbol so that it displays correct in plan and 3D.

Alternatively, if this wall spans more than a floor, create a 3D symbol that is placed inside of the Auto-hybrid. Place the auto-hybrid on both layers, with one displaying 2D only, so you don't double up on geometry.

With Vectorworks, there are often a number of ways to get to a solution. Which is great, and a challenge all at the same time. Cheers.

• 6 years later...

Hello all,

PC user with Design Suite 23, 72GB Ram (system and Graphics card).

I am working on a room that has an entire 55' tall x 188' wide window wall that leans out away from the center of the room by about 5° at the top.

How can I lean this wall?

The drawing will be used for event design.

The 2D view of this wall is not important and will have zero effect on event design. Only 3D matters.

Any help is appreciated.

Vectorworks walls can't be "canted".

If this is not for design purposes but only for rendering/presentation, you could make a wall with the required windows and Convert to Group and then rotate that. I  f you need the top and bottom horizontal you could then use the trim tool, but you might need to make the wall slightly over height so you have room to trim cleanly.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:05 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Vectorworks walls can't be "canted".

If this is not for design purposes but only for rendering/presentation, you could make a wall with the required windows and Convert to Group and then rotate that. I  f you need the top and bottom horizontal you could then use the trim tool, but you might need to make the wall slightly over height so you have room to trim cleanly.

No such luck, the entire wall is a window that is leaning out away from the room about 10° as well as being angled at 7°. I get an error saying the only hybrid objects can be rotated.

That is why I said use the Modify menu command Convert to Group.  That will give you a 3D only object that you can cant.

But it won't be a wall or a window, so it won't show up on a Window schedule and won't auto join with other walls. Nor will you be able to insert other doors or windows since it is not a wall.

1 hour ago, Jake Wilson said:

No such luck, the entire wall is a window that is leaning out away from the room about 10° as well as being angled at 7°. I get an error saying the only hybrid objects can be rotated.

You can use the wall tool to make the desired shape by doing the following.

1. select it

2. hit CMD + K to convert it from a wall and into 3D polys

3. hit CMD + G to group them (to make it easier to move and rotate these newly liberated wall pieces).

4. Rotate in any 3D direction because they are no longer resticted by being a wall or window.

See attached for a curtain wall modified with this treatment...

cant wall.vwx