VW2011 - Send to Cinema 4D Issues

Hello,

I've been using VW and C4D for a few years now. Up until the 2011 release, there has always been a plug in that allows the transfer between the two. The VWX file would export to a .vw4d and it would then import into Cinema 4D. You could export updates out of VW and merge the data - all was good.

I'm noticing that the practice with the new 'Send to Cinema 4D' command is a lot different. I'm in the practice of naming all of my classes and assigning all object to those classes so it looks like that data does carry over. However - some of my objects do not appear in the render - only when I select them in Object Browser do I see the outline. I've added new textures - nothing appears. I can't find the common denominator between the elements that appear and the ones that don't.

Also - when I try to update the VWX file and 'Send to Cinema 4D' - I select the 'Merge with the Current Scene' option but it says 'unrecognized file format.

I am keeping my VWX file and my C4D file in the same folder as I assume it is necessary for dynamic updates.

Are there any resources provided for those of us trying to bridge the gap between the old (plug-in) and the new (native export)??

Any help is appreciated

Hallo,

The Plugin you are used to is still supplied by Maxon and can be found here:

http://www.maxon.net/de/downloads/updates/plugins.html

But I think, you need at least C4d 11.5

That's also the Version of the Render Engine that is integrated in VW2011.

It works fine as far as I know, but i miss the Export of My VW Cameras, that was

there until VW 2009 (?).

The new export Feature is not as smart as the Maxon Plugin, because it doesn't export Symbols which causes much bigger files in C4d,

and a lot more work to figure out which VW element lands where is the complicated structured File with hundreds of groups and Subgroups....

Also the possibility to Update the Files is missing not really a progress....

I absolutely don't understand why they didn't continue with and integrate the "old" plugin into VW2011...

regards Horst M.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Renderworks 2011 is based on C4D R12. If you export to R12 you will see the same fidelity as in the RW renderings.

Symbols are exported from RW 2011 unless they have been flipped. They show as instances in C4D.

The export of RW cameras is a wish that is on our list.

You can update (merge) files but the texture priorities may not be what you want. If you change a material in RW then merge to C4D the C4D version takes precedence so it doesn't change, which is probably not what you want. I think the most recent change should take priority, that way if you change something in C4D it would remain, or if you change it in VW it would remain appropriately too.

The old plugin is unrelated to RW. The Export C4D and Send To C4D features of RW use the same code as the rendering we are doing within VW, with some embellishments for better human-readability, etc. There are a few additions still needed to match up to the previous exchange plugin, but we are working on adding those.

BTW it is not necessary to keep the C4D and VW files together. HTH!

Edited by Dave Donley

Thanks for the info everyone!

So just so that I am clear - the update function from VW2011 to C4D R12 works, but it only updates the geometry? If so, that is fine - that is primarily what I use the VW for when creating the 3D. I generally prefer for my textures in C4D to take precedence (since they're so much better anyway).

going to purchase R12 just so I'm with the latest and greatest!

Symbols are exported from RW 2011 unless they have been flipped. They show as instances in C4D.

unless they have been lifted rotated also.....

I'Ve been working withe a seating layout with for 1000 Chairs (Instances of a Symbol in VW) on different levels. After the Export I received 37 Instances and 963 Groups for the chairs.

Excuse me, that I forgot about the 37 Instances while I was trying to clean the FIle.

You would have made me jump arround like a child if you would have stated that this is also on the to do List .... ? please!

The export of RW cameras is a wish that is on our list.

Juhu. So good to hear, because I really like to place the Cameras with VW, and it's cool to have the same view in VW and in C4d.

There are a few additions still needed to match up to the previous exchange plugin, but we are working on adding those.

you are the Hero of the Day

So. RW is (now ?) C4D R12. That's cool.

I confess, that I was Spying arround in the Sketch render C4D File within the VW/Renderworks Folder when RW2011 was new, and was informed by my C4d Installation, that the FIle was created with C4D11.5. Also The exported Files seemed to be for C4D 11.5 ...........progress!

Anyway. There is new New Feature in C4D 12, thats specially made for Files that are exported from CAD Programms called Combine Scene, that does Wonders on these Files. But I guess it should be used only if there is no intention to make further changes on the exported FIle.

Sorry for posting (some) Quatsch, and thank you Dave for all your positiv Informations

Regards Horst M.

Edited by Horst M.

I opened the "Skecth_Styles.c4d" File located in the Renderworks Section of the VW2011 Programm Folder with C4D R12 and got the attached Message when I quit.

Thats one think, that I can reproduce, what caused my wrong impression...

I have to look if I find a C4D file that is directly exported with 2011 SP0, witout being saved by C4d.

I again apologize for my wrong Statement.

Horst M.

@ B. Keesey

I did some tests with the Send to C4d Command.

The Exported File Is now stored in a Temporary Folder. -TMP-

If you do a "save as ..." to a Folder of your wish, you lose the textures.

I use the Export C4D Comand, it produces the same FIle with the same name as in VW and and places a "tex"-Folder with png's of your textures where you store the File.

Horst M.

This is an interesting and helpful topic especially when I'm about to upgrade my version of C4D.

Dave, thanks for all your information-this is extremely appreciated.

Seeing I'm about to upgrade, I downloaded the demo version of VW2011 and C4D 12 and from the BASIC tests I've done,

1. What Dave talks about seems to be correct (not sure about the symbols on huge quantities).

2. Although the old plug-in seems better at present, I think this is the correct direction for the communication between VW and C4D. For me a more tighter intergration is needed and I think this is a good start in that direction.

3. Everytime I run the "Send to C4D" command, vw always asks me for the location of the C4D executable. Can't this be set in a preference setting or something?

4. Personally I prefer to do Material Mapping in C4D seeing C4D has a better OpenGL graphics window where one can see mapping done realtime. Mapping info is lost everytime I update in C4D. I understand sometimes it might be better to do mapping in VW (also some users prefer vw mapping). So maybe this can be an option in the Render Tab of where you'd like to do mapping.

5. Again personally I prefer customising my materials in C4D (which is the way it currently works-excellent) however some users may prefer materials in VW so maybe this should be an option in the Render Tab to over-ride materials from one application.

These are my thoughts but obviously there's lot more room for improvement with the C4D/Vw connection. However generally I like the idea of the connection and it looks promising.

Sorry, one more important thing.

6. Objects exported to C4D have their "Object Axis" placed at 0,0 but the object itself might be 20m away. This becomes a nuisance if you're trying to work on an object in C4D and you fit to the object. It places the object AND the axis within the view which makes the object small and off-centre. It would be ideal and more productive if the "Object Axis" (in C4D) can be placed at "Object Centre" (in vw).

Thanks,

Hello Jershaun:

Yes, I think you've mentioned all of the wishes/bugs we know about. Thanks for highlighting the importance of them to your use of VW and C4D.

Horst and all:

When you use Send To C4D, use Save as Project in C4D to save the "tex" folder needed for the scene file together in the same location.

HTH!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

I'm sure you've picked this up as well. Cinema 4D can put multiple textures on top of textures on the same object. However when the update command in "Send to Cinema 4D" is used, all stacked textures applied to the same object is lost.

This stacking system in C4D should be kept.

Thanks,

Any geometry in the "Geometry" group is from VW and will be replaced on the next merge. If you want to modify that geometry you would need to move it out of the Geometry group because it will be replaced on the next merge from VW.

Hi Dave

I'm NOT modifying the geometry in C4D. I do the model (and modifications) in vw then export to C4D.

I modify all materials in C4D including creating new ones that I place over other existing materials from vw. You can get some amazing stuff by playing around with alphas on multiple textures and placing them all over one object. However those materials with alphas are lost when merged with new geometry from vw. It's still there in the material manager but the order of placement and mapping is lost. I then have to again place those materials over the object and re-map them.

In C4D, the stacked materials (NOT geometry) should be remembered.

Thanks

Hi All

I'm trying to work out how to stop VW overwriting the textures I have applied in C4D every time I update the geometry in VW.

Dave's earlier post stated "If you change a material in RW then merge to C4D the C4D version takes precedence so it doesn't change" yet this is not what happens on my system. The VW/RW materials overwrite the C4d materials every time.

How to stop this happening please, otherwise, the $2000 I spent on C4D has been a waste...

Thanks all.

Mat

Hi,

I found, that a texture that came from VW to C4d and is modified in C4d doesn't get overwritten during merging changes from VW2011!

If you change the Texture on an Object it gets overwritten, even it has the exacatly same name as the original VW texture had.

I'm currently experimenting with the C4d MAterial Exchanger Plugin, to restore overwritten textures.

regards Horst M.

Hi Grant,

Like 7 steps above in the same thread there is the solution for that "Misbehaviour"

Hello Horst and all:

When you use Send To C4D, use Save as Project in C4D to save the "tex" folder needed for the scene file together in the same location.

HTH!

Yes it works!!

Maybe this thread should move to the wish list because I have another :)

When I export a file containing nurbs curves in dwg/dxf format from vw and Import into C4D, C4D reads the nurbs curves as splines. However when I use the "Send to Cinema4D" command, those nurbs curves are converted to poloygons in C4D.

I would like the nurbs curves to stay as nurbs/splines when "sent" to C4D similar to the dwg/dxf export.

I hope the above makes sense.

Thanks,

Hello Jershaun:

Yes I understand that wish. The only objects from VW that become splines in C4D are line lights. If you wanted to work around this limitation and get your curves into C4D you could make the curves into line lights and ungroup them once they are in C4D.

Ok, I've tried that and it works. Thanks Dave.

However I should have mentioned this earlier. The nurbs curve created in vw only has a couple of points (in my example, 4 points) but when in C4D the spline has 56 points. This applies to both the dwg/dxf export and the "send to C4D" commands.

This is why polygon and nurbs editing in vw should have handles just as in C4D. By adjusting the handles, C4D can create the same curve with the only 4 points.