New User, couple questions

Hey all.

I've just got VW 2011 up and running and I'm just getting started with it. I used VW back in '06 for a short while but switched to AutoCAD due to the company I worked for.

I'm now happily back on OS X, and consequently VW, but I'm feeling rather lost with it!

I'm running Designer, and I think a decent training guide is what I need, I saw the project based book written by Jonathan Pickup, is this recommended? I've got the PDF user guide, as well as the 'Architect' tutorial, but it's a little lacking to be honest, and I was instantly put off when it didn't even cover document setup.

Secondly, the project I'm working on right now is calling for a pretty specific render setup that I can't seem to achieve despite a few hours of messing around with a test model.

I need to render a plan view, with 2D style hatching, but with shadows as well... is that possible?

The only way I can see to get shadows in plan view is with the Renderworks or OpenGL, but in both cases, the model is textured and not hatched, and also the cut plane is set too high so no windows/doors are visible in the walls.

Basically I want a normal 2D Plan drawing but with shadows.

Finally, how do I set door/wall position with the dynamic input to actuall track from the point I pick starting from zero? For example, if I want a door 1500mm along from another door, or from the end of the wall, how do I specify that? The dynamic input thing seems to show pretty random numbers rather than 0.

Edited by TomCreation22

You could achieve something like mar's image without actually doubling up the viewports, i.e. stacking 2 VPs on top of one another. You can use the foreground and background versions of the one VP in the Information Palette and adjust their appearance. However that won't get the dimensions and room notes showing, I guess. The image is great though.