Laura Stone

Aligning Textures in Texture Beds

When I use a texture bed on a site model the orientation of the texture when rendered seems completely random which looks terrible for some kinds of paving.

Anyone know if there's a way of controlling the orientation, preferably by individual texture bed?

Thanks

I had thought this was possible with the attribute mapping tool, but I just tested it and this is not the case. Submitting that as a wish.

I believe that there has been an option in VW / RW for some time - Align Selected Mappings - I gave up on any attempts to use it. Because it just didn't do anything.

Posted a request to Dave Donley to let me know when it finally works (In late 2010)

I believe that you will find it in the Obj Info Pallet / Render Tab ... all the way at the bottom.

Does anyone have a working file that illustrates - The option in VW / RW for - Align Selected Mappings - and how it works ? ( ... or does not work)

Thanks ... Peter

and in 2014 with VW/RW I am still having the same difficulty with the site model and arranging textures: sometimes the function is there and sometimes not - I spend hours trying to align textures - sometimes rebuilding the site model seems the only option to get the texture I want

This topic is still plaguing me! Every hardscape needs to slope in a real life situation... When I model it correctly, the textures based on the slope... So I either model all hardscapes flat and the rendering of textures look great or I model hardscapes as a texture bed with a slope and the textures rotate and look wrong. Attribute mapping tool does not work to control this. Any advice?

As far as i know the only way is to create different textures of the same image with different orientations then you can apply them to the various texture beds as required.

A bit cumbersome but it works.

Make sure you set a class on Site modifier properties "Texture from Class" to your texture beds and assign the texture by class.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thanks Alan for the work around. This could get insanely complicated.

Nearly 8 years later and Vectorworks still haven't provided a solution to this.  The paving texture has chosen to render at about 30° to where it should be, so there isn't even a way to rotate the texture image as a workaround.