Is there any reason(s) anyone would choose ArchiCAd over VW?

What are the differences / strengths of the products.

Is one product better geared for commercial or residential than the other?

All my projects are residential, remodeling and new homes.

ArchiCad 15 vs VW 2011

From what I have been able to gather,

ArchiCad does not have free form modeling.

ArchiCad is better for large companies due to the "networking" / collaboration of files.

Seeing as how Nemetschek is parent company to both products.

taoist

The fundamental difference between VW and AC is that AC is a 3D building modeller, while VW is 2D/3D Jack of all trades. Some people see this Jack of all trades thing as an advantage. I don't, not as an architectural technician.

This fundamental difference has hugely influenced the way these two programs have been developed over the years. While VW excels in some areas, such as 2D presentation, it lags hugely behind AC on the 3D building modelling front. This is primarily because one has always been able to get things done in VW by manually modelling in 3D or drawing in 2D, so the pressure hasn't been there on the developers to prioritise the intelligent 3D building modelling capabilities in VW. Meanwhile AC building modelling capabilities keep forging ahead, because they have to.

Collaboration is actually a good example. While AC server-based teamwork is on its second generation, VW is still stuck with an antiquated file referencing system for working in teams, with no end in sight. An intelligent server-based teamwork environment was really the only route AC could take, and it took it. VW, on the other hand, has options, so it hasn't.

The other fundamental difference is price, which clearly influences matters.

In my limited experience with medium to high density urban projects, 3 storeys and above, I found AC to be about 3 times faster and far less prone to co-ordination errors.

I've worked in two small practices for about 4 years, one on Vectorworks, one on ArchiCAD. Both practices do residential, remodeling and new homes.

I've found for intelligent 3D design ArchiCAD is miles ahead, but for detailing/ working drawings (ie 2D presentation) Vectorworks is excellent. ACs ability to produce schedules for everything you model is amazing, from doors and windows to materials. We don't really use VWs reports as they seem quite clunky in comparison.

I think that's the main point actually, AC is a very streamlined, 'OSX' style program, where as VWs feels a bit more of a windows approach, if that makes sense! Not a negative, just a different way of doing things and it depends which you prefer.

AC is pretty stable with larger files and smaller residential projects, VW (in my experience) is pretty unstable (although it may be the rigs we have, it runs fine on my macbook pro at home the majority of the time)

AC doesn't specifically do freeform modelling, but I've never found anything I couldn't model using the profile manager, walls from polygons, roof faces and slabs. I admit I find VWs nurbs etc a bit overwhelming at times!

I use both for my uni work. I design the building in AC, model all the site etc, then for detail drawings I export as DWG, stick in VW and trace over it.

AC does seem to be aimed more at larger companies and projects, but that doesn't mean it can't be used for small projects/ one person, it just means the option to collaborate easily is there. VWs feels a lot more aimed towards small projects/ one person, there are 3 of us working on VWs and there isn't really any collaboration because it wouldn't be worth the effort!

Saying all that I doubt we use either program to its full abilities, and it depends on how you work, and what results you want really!

J

Apart from personal taste, yes: When doing normal everyday drafting and BIM, ArchiCAD is more full-ended and stable for just this job. The size of the job is of less importance.

(Though VWs lags behind in the development and especially the stability of parametric tools, the ones that do function are often more intuative, not the stair tool!)

If you on the other hand do more varied work ie. 3D modelling, presentations, importing images and 3D files etc. VW is more suited.

I believe there is a 3D modelling plug-in for ArchiCAD.

Download the Demo and have a go......

Edited by Vincent C