Tools > Purged Unused Objects?

Documentation says removes from file, do not want to erase anything from the Resource Browser.

Does it erase the textures from the Resource Browser?

Also says reduces file size.

Is this what is used to remove textures/ images from the OIP?

Want to be sure before proceeding.

taoist

yes, taoist, this command removes any unused element from your drawing, eg. textures, unused classes, empty layers, HDR backgrounds, wall styles, unused symbols, etc.

You can always reload them from another file or, for example, your Favorites files, if you have any.

After you have gotten to a certain point of completing your drawing, you may well wish to reduce the size of the file by using this command. Your choice as to when that point has been reached but you can always import something you find you need in any case.

HTH.

Mitch,

Thanks for the reply!

Is there a size (amount of textures) limit for OIP?

I have tried importing more but it does not work.

Also, when assigning Class textures to Style-1, Style-2 etc.., textures need to be in OIP or they do not show.

taoist

Purge will delete all unused textures from your file. It will not touch anything that is being used/applied to anything. They will remain in the Resource Browser. It will also delete all unused symbols, hatches, etc., unless you tell it not to. So be careful.

If you just want to delete a specific texture or two, right-click on the texture(s) in the Resource Browser and choose "Delete" from the contextual menu. This will delete it from your file.

To remove a texture from a selected object, in the Render tab of the OIP, select "None" from the Textures pull-down.

When assigning textures via class, only the textures currently in your document will be available, PLUS all the textures in the Defaults texture file. The textures currently in your document will be displayed under "Textures" in the Resource Browser display pane. I don't know if there is any limit to how many textures you can import. I've never run in to it.

Monadnoc

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I don't think there's a limit - just a limit to how large you want your file to be.

To clarify: Purging removes things from your current file, IF they are not actually used on the design. Other resource files (the files from which the textures were originally imported), are not touched.

The Resource Browser is just that - a browser of the resources in other files. That list of favorite files is just a list of filenames. When you click on a file name, you can see the resources available in that file. To use those resources in your current, active document (the one you've got open on your drawing area), you need to import those resources. You can do that by choosing Apply, which imports and applies at the same time, or Import, which just copies the resource into your active document, but doesn't apply it to anything. This makes it available to be applied on the Render tab though.

Hope that helps.

Tamsin has given you good information, but based on this thread and the others on textures, I think Taoist needs a little more background.

As Tamsin says, the things that show up in the Resource Browser (RB) is all information that is in a Vectorworks file someplace. All resources must be stored in a VW file. That file can be opened and edited just like any other file. There is nothing special about it.

There are three ways to see information about a file in the RB.

1. Open the file. All Open files can be selected from the pull down menu at the top of the RB.

2. Browse a File. You can use the file browsing capabilities of the RB to find any file and access the resources is contains.

3. Make the file a Favorite. As far as accessing the resources, this is exactly like a permanent Browse for that file.

Once you have the file you want visible in the RB, you can Import or Drag resources into the active file. In order to be able to use the resources, they have to be in the current file. (with a few caveats if you have referenced files.)

The other way to access the resources of a file is to make it part of the Default Content. Default Content is a set of VW files that are stored in specific locations. If you have the preference to Show Default Content turned on, then certain places in VW will show these resources even though they have not been imported (yet) to the current file and don't show in the resource browser.

The Default Content that ships with VW is stored in \Application\Vectorworks XXXX\Libraries\Defaults. There is a large folder hierarchy there that must be maintained so the correct portions of VW can find the right Default Content. If you don't like the factory options, you can go in and delete, move or edit those files.

If you want to add to the default content, there is a similar folder hierarchy stored at ~\Library\Appplication Support\Vectorworks\Vectorworks 2011\Libraries\Default. Create a VW file (or alias to a VW file) in the correct sub folder and you can have your own items show up in the default content. You want to put it in the user folder rather than the applications folder to ensure that a future update to VW does not overwrite all your resources.

There is also a similar location in the Workgroup folder.

And we won't go into Exporting resources from the active file to another file right now.

Hopefully this will provide a little clarity on where resources are stored and how to access them.

Pat,

Thanks for the reply. Good information.

I was curious if it was possible to change the default textures.

I thought we had to use the RB, save as favorites so they show all the time in RB. Or import so they show in the OIP Render Tab.

Still having issues with applying textures to walls and solids (3D) or 2D extrudes though.

Thought I had it figured out, and then I could not apply textures.

Will re- read the posts and the help files and trial & error.

It must be me.

I need to understand this completely.

So much different than the other Software I use.

taoist

This is what I have figured out so far.

In the RB, the working file must show in the Files slot at the top.

What ever shows for textures in the view pane will apply.

If I switch to any of the favorites, can't apply any of the textures.

This same list of textures shows in the OIP.

Can apply them from the OIP as well.

The textures also show in Classes when wanting to Apply at Creation.

OIP gives us the ability to modify the texture orientation, scale, rotation, mapping, centering (think of tile) using Offset H" & V:, repeat.

In the OIP there is a Sketch Slot with options.

Using OpenGl does not seem to make any difference.

My guess it is for other render modes but not sure.

How do I show/use other textures for the current working file?

taoist

Update:

I cleared (deleted) the favorites list I had in the RB.

Added (2) favorites texture files into the RB.

I can now apply those textures as well.

For now it seems everything is working fine.

Now I need to learn how to edit the textures for Specular, Opacity, Emissiveness, Reflectivity, Bump, Ambient.

Then onto lighting and the other Render Modes.

taoist

"This same list of textures shows in the OIP."

Ahhh, now I understand what you've been meaning whenever you talk about getting textures into the OIP. You're referring to the drop-down list of textures. I thought you were confused, but it was actually me who was confused. That makes perfect sense. That is a list of all the textures currently in your active document. Which is the same thing that is showing in the Resource Browser Textures pane. They are mirror images, identical. But you can't add to the list in the OIP Render Tab, you have to be in the Resource Browser Texture pane to add/import new textures. But then they will also show up in the OIP Render tab once you've added them.

"If I switch to any of the favorites, can't apply any of the textures."

If you are viewing the textures of a Favorite from within the Resource Browser, they aren't actually in your active document yet. You will have to import them into it before applying, UNLESS you had selected an object before you browsed into your Favorite file. Then you can choose Apply (or double-click) and it will be applied to that object, as well as imported into your active document. I suspect this is where most of your problems are coming from. It sounds like you are viewing textures in other documents and Applying them with nothing selected. Then nothing happens. You only think they've been applied, but they haven't. They've been Imported instead. And once you go back into your active document, they'll show up there. Then you Apply them. They really should have the Apply choice greyed out unless something is selected. It is very confusing. Unless I'm misunderstanding how it all works.

"Still having issues with applying textures to walls and solids (3D) or 2D extrudes though."

This should be fairly straight forward, so I'm not sure what the problem is without more details. To apply a texture to any 3D object, select the object, then choose the texture in the Resource Browser, and right-click and choose Apply, or double-click, or drag and drop it onto it. You could also select the texture from the Render Tab in the OIP. Walls are unique, though. When you use any of the above mentioned techniques on a wall, it only applies it to the edges. At least in my version of VW. The only way to get a texture on the sides of the walls, is by assigning them either via Classes, Wall Styles, or in the Render tab. Make sure Mode is by Object, Part is either Left or Right, and Texture is either Class Texture (assuming you've already assigned a texture via class), or choose whichever texture you want from the list.

"How do I show/use other textures for the current working file?"

Import them into your active document, then they'll show up in the Textures preview pane (click the House/Home icon to make sure you're viewing your active documents resources), and in the OIP Render Tab pull-down, and in the Class texture choices. If you haven't Imported them, they will not show up. If you have, they will.

"Now I need to learn how to edit the textures for Specular, Opacity, Emissiveness, Reflectivity, Bump, Ambient."

Unfortunately, Renderworks has very limited texture editing capabilities. Hopefully these will improve in the next few releases, now that it is using Cinema 4D. But to access/edit them, right-click on the texture in the Resource Browser and choose "Edit". There will be places to tweak Color, Reflectivity, Transparency, Bump, Size (a great feature - I wish C4D had this), whether it Cast and Receives Shadows, and Indirect Lighting options. Make sure to click on the Edit buttons for anything that has one, as that's where you can really tweak what it does. You can also edit a texture via the OIP Render Tab. With an object selected, next to the Texture field displaying the name of the texture that is applied to that object, there is a little black triangle. Click that and you will have a choice to Edit [texture name] Resource, Duplicate it, or Edit Image Shader.

But for really good Texture/Shader capabilities, you'll have to take it into Cinema 4D. Fortunately, the process for doing this is the best I've seen. If you have C4D on your machine, just use Send to Cinema 4D and it opens up in Cinema. If you don't have C4D, just use Export to C4D and you can transfer the file to a machine that does have it and open it there. All textures, lights, cameras, etc. will come through.

"In the OIP there is a Sketch Slot with options.

Using OpenGl does not seem to make any difference."

Sketch is used with Hidden Line rendering. You can also set it under View > Rendering > Line Render Options. There's a check box to activate it. You can also apply it to Top/Plan view, either to the whole plan, or just specific elements of it. And also as a Viewport option.

HTH

Monadnoc

Edited by Monadnoc

Monadnoc,

Thanks for all your help.

Walls it seems, when one applies textures from the RB, uses the all option of the wall.

Then use the OIP Render Tab to select the left, right, center, all options.

This makes sense as there is no option in the RB for the wall sides and such.

I will look into the Sketch hidden line options.

Could see some possibilities here with a rendered background. Think (ViewPort multiple layer render options). I do not know if Sketch is one of the options yet.

Guess I need to save and upgrade to VW2011 and InteriorCad.

taoist