Property Line - Objects from Polyline...

I'm following the VW 2011 Landmark Getting Started Guide booklet and CD. On page 18 it discusses drawing the property line by first drawing a polyline that has 1 curved segment and 4 straight segments. Then it shows using the Objects from Polyline... command under the modify menu. The result it shows has a dimension and bearing on the Elder Street curved segment. I cannot get that to appear on the curved segment when I convert the polyline. I believe this is a bug. Does anyone know how to make this work? I attached a screen shot of the VW exercise file that shows the way it should be.

Bruce, the setting for Annotation Style should have the first option "Angle, Distance, Curve" selected. You are not asking the tool to annotate the curve.

Can you tell me how one add's an image, like your .jpg to these messages? I cannot find out how to do that.

Mitch, That's not how the exercise shows to do this, and the results are a worksheet, not the data showing on the curve like in the example file. Also, if I do it "Angle, Distance, Curve" selected, I do get the worksheet, but if I try to edit anything on the property line the worksheet disappears.

To make and add an image to your Tech Board post: On my Mac I press command+shift+4 to take the screen shot, and then in the message posting window (here) I go to Switch to Full Reply Screen and add the file (image).

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

Bruce, I don't have the manual so don't know how the exercise shows it to be done.

Does the worksheet show up in the Resource Browser even if it disappears from the screen? I would think it would disappear if you are editing the boundary because it assumes (?) that it will need to be recalculated in any case.

Re. adding an image; in the full screen mode, is that the "add an image" tool? It asks for a URL though.

Thanks.

Bruce, I have taken a look at the manual and the setup for the boundary creation of the lot in the tutorial.

I don't think that the example in the manual actually does produce any information for the arc of the lot boundary. The only information shown for the arc is grayed out and I think that is part of the original PDF import. There is a straight line segment to the bottom (road part) of the boundary which the VW boundary shows but no information for the arc itself. Look at page 35 of the manual: it shows drawing a polyline of this bottom boundary line and makes it pretty clear that there is a straight segment (from 1 to 2) and then the manual says to switch to the arc mode of the polyline tool to draw the remainder of the bottom part of the boundary as an arc (points 2, 3 and 4).

My point: VW doesn't provide any description of the arc except in the worksheet. This makes sense to a degree: there are a number of criteria needed to determine the arc, right?

Got to ask: you are a furniture builder (and canoe maker): are you getting into Landscape Architecture too?

Mitch,

When you refer to "the manual," are you referring to the Getting Started with Vectorworks Landmark 2011.pdf? Page 35 of that is about "Drawing the Front Porch."

I guess I posed my original question wrong. I agree there's no curve data that shows on the drawing, but there is length and bearing data... look again at the screen shot in my original post. I cannot make that info appear when I follow the exercise.

Hi Bruce,

Yep, the Landmark-Getting-Started-Guide which I downloaded it from the link you provided, it's page 35 alright. In this file, page 34 is "drawing the front porch" so maybe look at the next page, at the middle graphic.

The length and bearing data that shows up in your first screen shot is greyed out so that makes me think it's on a different layer, the imported PDF layer of the site from where this all starts, no?

Hey Mitch,

With your help, and after messing around with this for way too long, and realizing there's that short straight segment at the bottom left of the example's property line (that you pointed out), I think I have this working well enough for my needs. I was missing snapping to the 6th vertex. Thanks for all of your help.