icloud option

M700

Question

Cloud option for use with Apple mobile me.

Would safe a lot of work for me. :)

This is the cloud the way it should be: automatic and effortless. iCloud is seamlessly integrated into your apps, so you can access your content on all your devices. And it?s free with iOS 5.

Learn more

18 answers to this question

I'm not sure whether we want iCloud backup or Lion style autosave. What do others think?

With CAD/BIM programs the saving/referencing/workgroup-collaboration needs to be at the application level so the program can keep track. Combine that with an extranet/issue system and you're asking for trouble letting the OS get involved...?

If VW's was Mac-only it would probably no longer exist. I am a Mac guy too and obviously prefer Mac OS to Windows. But this is the real world. The team at NV have done an awesome job of keeping the program basically the same for both OS types, and I for one find that especially admirable...

I am not so excited by Apple's or others' clouds. Archiving, syncing and updates for work groups are fine. Protection from disaster is good. But local storage is well understood, inexpensive, and always accessible. I think we need both.

Cloud might be convenient (or might not be), but depends entirely on the internet connection. Local storage has problems, too, but is very reliable. Others may be willing to assume constant connection, but I have experienced unavailable, failed and sporadic connection. What happens when you miss a payment or two?

Giant cloud server farm is likely vulnerable to hacks and you would never even know you were hacked - witness personal data accessed during hacks to social networks, banks, etc. Proprietary data on servers is always at risk of exposure, alteration, or theft. Your proposal for a multi million $ job? On a remote server accessed by many others? and tended by a profit motivated administration looking for short cuts and cost savings?? Does that sound dependable?

If THEY hack my stuff, I might lose something, and they gain only a little. But others have higher value for THEM and THEY will be hunting for it.

end rant

-B

I am not so excited by Apple's or others' clouds. Archiving, syncing and updates for work groups are fine. Protection from disaster is good. But local storage is well understood, inexpensive, and always accessible. I think we need both.

Then you misunderstand iCloud because that's what it is (i.e. both). It's about pushing data from one device to all your other devices. It's not about storing any data you produce only in the cloud. This is very different from Google's take on the cloud for instance.

What happens when you miss a payment or two?

iCloud is free. But, more importantly, your files are located locally.

Giant cloud server farm is likely vulnerable to hacks and you would never even know you were hacked - witness personal data accessed during hacks to social networks, banks, etc. Proprietary data on servers is always at risk of exposure, alteration, or theft. Your proposal for a multi million $ job? On a remote server accessed by many others? and tended by a profit motivated administration looking for short cuts and cost savings?? Does that sound dependable?

iCloud uses encryption.

Shame to see this thread degenerating already...

On the issue of cloud storage for CAD/BIM this is of course inevitable, and already happens. I haven't heard of security problems with project extranets...that's not to say it doesn't happen, but any node on the internet is vulnerable to hacking...remote or local. You don't think those emailed drawings are secure do you...or those files you stick on Dropbox to work at home?

The issue here is simply whether iCloud offers anything to VW users, and my view is that it doesn't.

As an iphone/mac user i'll sign up on day one of course... (no flames please!)

In an office environment Lion Server will provide the functionality that iCloud offers.

We're upgrading our server to Snow Leopard next week...we like to stay one version behind for stability...also good advice for versions of Vectorworks it seems lately...

Hehe, we're still stuck on Leopard/PowerPCs and by the time we get new machines Lion will be preloaded! It'll be like entering the space age.

Can't say, however, that I put Mac OS X in the category as VW when it comes to stability. My experience with Mac OS X has always been the later version you have the better. In fact it's been one of the few pieces of software that has got faster and leaner with each release.

I would have to agree with Christiaan, Apple has been spot on with their releases of software. But I do understand the hold up and wait theory. With business it could be catastrophic if per say Lion was a flop. But their track record is impeccable. I try to wait for the release and update after 6mo. or a year. (still new but let others play the deck.