Using Resource Brower Resources in Another File

Greetings,

I have a building file that I recently received that includes a number of symbols, gradients, etc. that I don't have that I'd like to be able to access and use regularly on future projects. How do I go about moving, copying or otherwise making them available on future projects?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Marshall

Hi...

I am assuming that this file that you received is a Vectorworks file. There are a few ways you can do this...

1. Easiest way would be when ever you require a resource, just go to the resource browser and click on the little triangular arrow at the top right of the palette, and select 'Browse a Document'. Thereafter, navigate to and open the file you received. This will bring all the available resources into your resource browser, at which point you can 'import' them into your current document.

2. You can create a new document, and place all the resources (only) into it and place it in your 'favorites' folder in your user folder. Alternatively you can place the received file (or a copy of it) in the same location as it is, but the file would be much larger and therefore would take longer to open. The list of files in the resource browser would then include THIS favorite for easy access.

3. For your fill attributes (hatches, gradients, etc.), you can place files with these in the corresponding folder of your user folder ... Libraries/Defaults/... This would give you access to these attributes straight from your attributes palette in EVERY document without having to go and search for it each time.

Hope this gives you an idea of how you can achieve what you desire!