Room Finish Libraries

Just started using VW2011 for the construction drawings for my most recent project after using VW2009. I am trying to create a room finish schedule. Apparently the only way to create one is to use the NEW Space Tool. You can't use the Room Name Simple tool because you can't assign room finishes to it in 2011. When assigning room finishes to the space tool label it brings up a Room Finish Library that I don't want to use. I want to use the Room Finish Library that I have developed over the past few years and include in a custom preference set. The problem is no matter what preference set I chose the Room Finish Library does not change - even when choosing 1 of the pre-installed sets, which ALL have a Room Finish Library that is different than the one the Space Tool accesses. I really don't want to re-create all the finishes in this other library AND I shouldn't have to. What is this Room Finish Library that the Space Tool defaults to & how can I change to one of my choosing?

Hi...

From what I know...

When editing/creating a room finish library for the first time, they are saved in your user folder under the different categories (walls, ceilings, baseboard, floor). This is where the library is saved in the corresponding applications folder as well.

... /Libraries/Defaults/Space/Space-Room Finishes/...

I do not believe the preference set works as it used to for room finishes. Or at least I have not found how it works now.

These are text files however, separated by category. It should be pretty simple to edit the text file and copy and paste your previous finishes into each category's text file (at the User Folder Level).

I did find those libraries and I guess I will have to cut & paste as you suggest. But I have another problem. The rooms & and assoc. data are not appearing on the finish schedule. And I have checked the on schedule box. is there anything else about this tool I need to know?

That's strange...

Ensure that you are up to date with the latest service pack (SP3).

Try a new doc with a space (on schedule) and generate the room finish schedule, and see if the same problem occurs. If it does not, then it is file related.

If possible send me the file and I'll have a look at it.

I just tried a quick one and it seems to work fine for me...

Are they custom finishes? or are you just trying the default ones?

await your reply....

Farookey,

Been busy working on projects started in VW2009. Today i experimented a little. As you suggested, I started new file - 2 spaces & created a finish schedule - no problem. Went to the file I had trouble with and the "create schedule" command worked - so long as the worksheet was placed on the floor plan layer. I usually place the schedules on detail/schedule layer and create viewports. For some reason VW2011 will not let me create the schedule on a detail layer (This is not a problem with Door Schedules). This is not a big problem, but raises the question as to what will happen with a multi-story bldg? A schedule for each floor? I don't want that. Also, I cannot change the text size of the space name or number. There must be a way. You could do it with all previous versions of the tool.

I am using SP3 by the way. And thanks for your help.

Hi again...

Text sizes for space names and numbers...

They are now symbols which can be easily manipulated through the resource browser. However, i believe they have to be edited in a 1:1 layer, or else you'll have issues with the text sizes being too small, and virtually invisible. Also, these spaces are stored in your library, and you can customize these (if you wish), the same way to suit your needs (and sizes), so you do not have to be continuously changing font sizes each time.

Again though, I find it strange that that happens. Although, I tend to place schedules (as much as possible) directly on the sheet layer, unless it is too large to fit on the 1:1 scale. Therefore, a 10pt font would be a 10pt font (on the sheet layer). I have tried, creating spaces on one layer, and placing the schedule on another (design) layer, and again it seems to work for me. Try double-checking the criteria of the worksheet, and let us know what it comes up with...

If not...

You can either give me a detailed explanation of what happens when you try to place the schedule (worksheet) on another design layer, or you can send me the file and I'd be pleased to assist you (as much as i can).

Hear you soon...

OK,

Experimented a little more. The file I was having trouble with has only 1 space (1 room addition)that needs to be "scheduled". So a work around for that file is not a big deal. I went to another project that I am just starting: a 2-story residence. Placed a space label on each floor with assigned finishes and created the finish schedule on another design layer - no problem, and the schedule picked up both spaces. So the tool appears to be functioning properly. But... I still don't understand why I can't select the font size for the various items of the label. I was under the impression that the space label was to be put on the design layer of the particular floor it is assoc. with. All of those layers have a scale much smaller than 1:1. The problem is when the label is placed the text is approx. 14 pt. Way too large - I prefer 10 or 8 depending on scale of plan. When I try to edit the symbol created in the drawing file, the font size is listed as "0" and there is no way to edit that that doesn't result in a huge label. I have tried using both "page" and "world" settings and it doesn't make any difference. Why the functionality of selecting the font size was removed is beyond me!

Hi... again...

As mentioned before, the font size has to be edited in a 1:1 scale environment. This can be easily done on a sheet layer. Make a sheet layer active, then edit the space tag symbol (through resource browser). The text size should now show up correct (approx 14pt in your case) and you can adjust it to what you wish.

Note: it can also be done on a 1:1 design layer, but a sheet layer is already scaled (/not scaled), and is therefore why it is much easier...

Should definitely work...

OK, tried your last suggestion and it worked. However it still is a lousy work around: Being a symbol all of the components had to be edited separately, i.e., the number box did not re-size when I changed the font size of the number. I had to re-size the box manually which is awkward to say the least. Furthermore changing the symbol changes all instances of the symbol of course and there are times when I may want a different font size for the labels in smaller spaces. What do I have to do for that? Duplicate the symbol, give it a new name and change the font size accordingly? That's ridiculous. I have been doing construction drawings for 30 years. What I want is just a label that's connected to the Finish Schedule. I don't' want or need all the bells & whistles of the "New" Space Tool. I don't need it for design - I don't design that way. The Simple Room Name tool worked just fine until VW2011 (if it changed in 2010 I wouldn't know as I didn't upgrade to that version)why it was changed, or better stated broken is beyond me!

Yes... Symbol would need to be duplicated in order to achieve different sized tags. I guess everything has it's benefits and disadvantages which may differ from user to user.

For instance, that tool can automate tags with more than just one text string of data. And maybe you wish (for instance) to have the room number show up larger than the other room data. This method allows the flexibility to do so, as opposed to having one size for ALL the data (with that particular tag).

A symbol also means that only one instance would have to be edited to change all other instances. Imagine a massive building with many rooms, and to have to go to or select each space and modify.

It's a change from what you are used to, a change for the good for some (others), although I do not recall using the tool as much prior to VW2011. If I do remember though, they were not symbols in 2010.

I would not go as far as to say that they've broken it. It is more refined and expanded. And as a user, I have not encountered anything major about it (as yet).

:)

The Simple Room Name tool allowed one to change the size of the name, number, and other data independently. As well, one could select numerous room tags, and change finishes and data at one time, unlike the door tool, for example. I don't have a problem so much with the space tool, as I have a problem with discontinuing the ability to attach finishes to the Simple Room Name tool. Nemetschek brags that Vectorworks allows the user to work the way they want to work, but not in this case evidently.

I appreciate all your input & help.