Student requiring help: Can't seem to render walls....

I have a basic house to put on a plan. I've created a polygon and successfully turned the shape into walls. Now I've created a class with just a colour fill for external house walls and have ensured the walls are all selected, chosen the class, checked everywhere that I've got the class selected and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Also....what does Bot Z refer to? It might help me understand why my roof doesn't sit on the walls and my windows and doors float above the house!!

Thanks....

Hi...

For Color...

Check...

1. The colored class... is it set to 'Use At Creation'?

If it isn't, you can either set it (and it should prompt you). OR... In the attributes palette, at the bottom, there is a small triangle. Click this and select 'Make all attributes by class'.

2. The wall style (in OIP)... is it unstyled or styled?

If the latter, this may explain why you do not get the results you are looking for. Change to unstyled, or create/changed settings to a wall style to meet your needs by going through the wall style dialogs and adjusting settings. If it is however, set to unstyled, and still the issue persists, check to see if any 'Components' are selected in the OIP of the affected walls. You would be made aware of this if you are unable to change the thickness of the walls.

Bot Z...

Of the wall, refers to the 'Z' height (elevational height) of the bottom of the wall in relation to the particular layer you are working on. This is usually set to '0' unless you have unordinary circumstances.

Roof...

Is your roof on a different layer? If so, check the layer's 'Z' height. I (currently) use a different layer for the roofs, with the same 'Z' as the wall's layer to which they are 'attached' to. This way, the bearing height of the roof can match the wall height and therefore 'connect'. This obviously depends on the Bot Z of the wall as well (at times).

Doors and Windows...

Check that the 'Height' of these (in OIP) are set to '0'.

There may be other factors which are causing your issues, but more information would be needed. Alternatively, If these (above) do not work, feel free to send me the file, and I will sort it out for you (if I can).

Keep us updated...

Thank you, this helped so much. I am so grateful to the generosity of the experts on this site, it has saved my bacon a couple of times.

I have managed to complete what I need to for the assignment, but the rendering of the house defaults to a really ugly brick and try as I might, I can't get it to change (not essential, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and would like to change it to something that looks good before submitting!!).

One further thing if I can impose...the site is sloped and we have created concrete pads and extruded them for the house and shed to sit on which was easy enough. However the path leading from the bottom of the site to the house needs to slope up the site rather than be flat (otherwise you'd have to step up onto the path from a great height down the bottom of the site...rather silly). I cannot figure out for the life of me how to do this...I've tried extrude, and tapered extrude and not having much luck. Any suggestions?

A

Hi again...

Glad we helped to sort your previous issue out...

If I understand your issue this time, the 'ugly brick' is a texture, and can be changed/edited through the resource browser. Alternatively, you can browse for other textures that may help with your needs, in the VW applications folder.

VW... /Libraries/Textures/...

Browsing can be done straight from the resource browser, where you can click the little triangle at the top left of the Resource Browser palette, and choose 'Browse a Document'. At which point you can navigate to the textures files mentioned above.

For the second issue with the sloped path, it all depends on how detailed you wish to go. There are various ways to achieve what you wish to...

a.) You can go all out and use the Site Model tool, and create a site model of the site. If you have the contours of the site this is made easily. If you do not, then I am sure you have an idea of the slopes and therefore can 'fudge/fake' it. However this may be a bit time consuming for your needs.

b.) If it is just a simple (one way) slope you want to get, a quick and possibly satisfying option is to extrude the slope shape in an elevation view.

There may be other ways (dependent of your particular site), but these would be (probably) a.) the most complex and b.) simplest way to answer your question above.

I hope this has been helpful...

Awaiting your response...