Steve Jobs presents new Apple campus building plans to Cupertino

I think the renderings are normal in this stage. Its probably still under full development and what we see are images taken from a beamer. The design had not been fully exposed to the public yet. I think it was a smart move politically to let the city counsil see it first.

And to be honest, I have a very good idea what the design will look like already. I would have loved to see Maxwellrenders of such a building but as Frank Gehry says about his models, they should not be an object of desire themselves. Imre Makovitz even said that you should only draw images of elevations at the site after construction...

Francois

I think the renderings are normal in this stage. Its probably still under full development and what we see are images taken from a beamer. The design had not been fully exposed to the public yet. I think it was a smart move politically to let the city counsil see it first.

And to be honest, I have a very good idea what the design will look like already. I would have loved to see Maxwellrenders of such a building but as Frank Gehry says about his models, they should not be an object of desire themselves. Imre Makovitz even said that you should only draw images of elevations at the site after construction...

Francois

Hi Francois,

I think it is pretty public when presented by the CEO at a public council meeting and then published on Tech Crunch et al.

To me, the renderings look cheesy. If they are not going to be polished, I'd prefer to see really loose sketches.

V-G.

I don't think anyone at the meeting was questioning the renderings looking at the glowing faces in the room.

The renderings are average of course. But for this type of building they give a good impression.

But I am from Holland and overhere competitions are won by much and much lesser quality renderings. The Vectorworks gallery is neither better.

The general idea here is that the renderings are for the architects wet dreams and the quick colorfull low resolution full of people stuff is for the decision makers.

It has become an artform to provide for design images that show as little of the building as possible and the focus of the image should be out of proportion people waving hands and partying. The best selling images use unrealistic colors and hdr night scenes. You should not have any other idea about the new building than that it atracts large crowds of funloving people.

A carefully crafted rendering or study that gives an acurate impression at daylight at a moderate wide angle are looked upon as made by nerds for engineers. The kind of images that look like photographs of real buildings as they are going to be.

I work with Maxwellrender and am used to super quality but I also know few clients are willing to take the time and money to spend on these kind of studies.

Looking at the Apple images shown by Steve I have to say that they seem to give an accurate sense of what they propose to build without the typical overblown PS graphics. But its very true that for a company like Apple they should be able to do much better.

Edited by fv19
  • 3 months later...