Steve Jobs presents new Apple campus building plans to Cupertino

It's interesting and good to know that SJ is a 'local', he comes across as a nice guy. The graphics look incredibly crude for such a cool outfit but the building looks good if just a tad unadventurous, I would have liked to see the donut sliced through or disjointed at some point to link the inside space with the outside world rather than a 'secret garden just for employees

AJ

I would have liked to see the donut sliced through or disjointed at some point to link the inside space with the outside world rather than a 'secret garden just for employees

AJ

I watched the Cupertino City Council meeting with Steve Jobs, and he indicated a portion of the building having a full height cafe for 3000 persons, with some connection to the outside of the building. The curved glass facade is somewhat interesting, but will need some lower level detailing to add human scale. The Apple Stores used large sheets of glass for the sides, but used features like glass stairs to add human scale.

Early days I guess, but it doesn't seem to be a very "green" design.

These days it seems de riguer to have solar water heating, photovoltaics on the roof, water collection and treatment on site, no air conditioning, etc., etc.

Anybody know who are the ?great architects ? some of the best in the world? who came up with this?

I wonder if there's a continuous corridor all round and staff will tear round and round on super-charged Segways?

Anybody know who are the ?great architects ? some of the best in the world? who came up with this?

I wonder if there's a continuous corridor all round and staff will tear round and round on super-charged Segways?

A related question on the great architects ... are they Mac computing offices? And if so, will it be on Vectorworks or Archicad? Drawing-wise, the walls, floors and roofs should be really easy to model, because everything is a 360? sweep around a common center locus pt.

These days it seems de riguer to have solar water heating, photovoltaics on the roof, water collection and treatment on site, no air conditioning, etc., etc.

I like that a lot. Late enough....

Specially the need of airconditionig is major indication for disfunctioning Architecture that wastes a lot of Energy.

just my humble opinion.

Horst M.

Edited by Horst M.

really? seems like a pretty crude scheme to me - how to maximise your circulation distances and external envelope, whilst simultaneously annexing as much land in the middle (because you can). add to that the facade treatment which appears identical for the diameter of the building (demonstrating how little thought has been applied to site specific environmental considerations), I'd tend to disagree that this is a cool scheme.

To my mind, it looks like a two second sketch which has been (badly) rendered up.

Edited by jrhartley
really? seems like a pretty crude scheme to me - how to maximise your circulation distances and external envelope, whilst simultaneously annexing as much land in the middle (because you can).

If you judge a scheme simply by its external envelope-to-foot print ratio then I imagine you might come to this conclusion, but the space in the middle will no doubt be an integral part of the building, not just a piece of "annexed land" that you look at from the window. Also, I imagine maximising the external envelope was actually a design choice. It's not a warehouse, they need to fit 12000 people. A more efficient external envelope-to-foot print ratio would mean more people stuck away in internal parts of the building with no connection to the external environment.

My guess is Norman Foster.

Nope. Apple hired I.M. Pei for this one.

That was a pretty unsophisticated group of councilors. Had to laugh at the woman trying to wangle free WiFi out of Steve. Are you kidding me?

The renderings and presentation (for a project of that size and stature) were IMO, absolutely brutally bad.

V-G

Is that a fact, Revit as a requirement for being one of the architects.

Does Steve know that his building is developed under Microsoft's OS and that its even a must.

But, as a fact, We as architects in Holland these days are also required to use Revit. The days we invested in Vectorworks are definatly over. We still use 2009 and sooner or later just to open old files.

Francois