Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Export 3ds file

Jack_1983

Hi all,

First of all, I apologize for opening two similar Posts (this one here and the other in the "Vectorworka VectorScript" section).

Brief explanation of my problem: I need to create a 3ds file by using the SDK.

Unfortunately, current version of SDK (2011) does not implement the functions of the abstract class IImportExport3ds: in fact, calling the Export() function just returns a VCOMError value of 6 (which means 'Function not yet implemented').

And here comes my first question: does anyone know IF these functions will be implemented? The SDK reference manual (found at http://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php) does not have any info on this. I hope that maybe someone of you can have more information.

Right now, since I need to avoid this problem, I read something about the 'DoMenuName' so I was thinking I could simulate a "Export 3ds" menu press by using that function. I know this is just a workaround, but I made some experiments by using this with some different parameters, but unfortunately nothing seems to work. Everytime it fails - i.e. nothing happens and the function return a value of -11 (which is, obviously, not documented :( ).

So, here comes my second question: is it possible to "execute" the menu item "Export 3ds" ? Anyone knows a method to do this? Even some hints will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry for the length of this post, but I just tried to be as clear as possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone that will try to help me.

Jack

EDIT: actually, I got a solution for the second question: just use the file name found in the Plug-ins directory of Vectorworks as a string parameter of the 'DoMenuName' function:

gSDK->DoMenuName("3DS Export",0);

Edited by Jack_1983