Printing Options

Dear Forum,

I'm working on Vectorworks 2011 and have a printing issue. When i go to print i want to print a certain part of the drawing using 'selection' option, but this is not possible. I can only print All, Pages, or current view.

Does anyone have a solution to this basic problem?

Ian Smith

Hi there,

If it is a matter of drawing a certain part of the drawing, then all that needs to be done is to move the page (be it temporarily) to that specific area. I do not personally like doing this so I ensure I save before I do, and the revert (with the page back where it was) after I have printed.

Depending on if you are on a sheet layer, or design layer, scaling the drawing can be done in different ways:

Sheet layer is where the main printing is done, and is usually through viewports, giving you even more control to crop what you wish to 'view', and what you wish to see by classes and layers etc. The viewport (through the OIP) can be set to scale as you desire. The sheet layer page (size) can also be adjusted for each individual sheet to what you wish.

Design layer printing can also be used if desired. I personally use it (if I have to) for quick preview prints or something of that sort. The scale is controlled in the specific design layer through the 'Organization' pane. I believe that editing the paper size in a design layer would change it for EVERY design layer, and not just the active one.

Hope this helps...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Quickest way is to click on the Layers button at the top of the screen and edit your design layer so that it is at the correct scale. You can also use File/Page Setup to get your page size correct. Ensure that your printer dialog does not then scale the drawing to fit the media. You want to preserve the scale of your design layer.

Sounds like you are just getting started! Good luck.

For quick, rasterized output, a screen shot is a handy "print" to marquee.

Also, at least on a Mac, if you select some items and copy/paste them into a Mail message, the result is a pdf attachment showing selected items. Or paste from clipboard into other software.

Hold down the Alt key while dragging, and everything touched by the marquee is selected.

-B