How do you apply multiple textures to cabinets?

taoist

I would like to be able to apply textures for countertops that is different that the cabinet texture.

Ex: Counter top - Granite texture

Cabinet Box - Cherry wood texture medium (light to dark)

Cabinet Doors - Cherry wood texture light or dark

Can this be done on the fly?

Can't figure out how to separate the components to apply different textures.

How do you use Styles for Cabinet, Doors, Kick, and Counter?

Are these editable on the fly or strictly pre-defined and I would need to create libraries (for lack of a better term) for different finishes.

Am I limited by the number of Style numbers?

I know I am asking a lot here, but I need to have a good understanding of how this works.

taoist

Just to clarify (not meaning to step on your toes Jonathan). In 2008 there are a number of "Style" classes, named "Style 1", "Style 2", etc. First, as Jonathan says, use the Object Info Palette to select one of these classes for each part of the cabinet. Then go the Class Setup dialog and assign a texture to each of the classes you have chosen, making sure that "Use at Creation" is checked for textures.

The truly unfortunate thing is that because of the way these objects are "constructed" in VW's, there is no way to control the direction of the wood grain on separate pieces of the cabinet. The workaround is to Ungroup the cabinet and assign a texture to each piece. But that's a long way to go and you lose the parametric abilities of the cabinet.

Another possible solution for those doing a lot of detailed millwork is an add-on called "InteriorCad". Here is a link: http://www.resolve.ca/interiorcad

Peter and Jonathan, Thanks.

Is what I want to do any easier in VW2011?

Yes, we do a lot of interiors (kitchens, baths, etc..)

I like VW2011 rotatable hatch/texture feature on planar surfaces.

This will be great for showing tile textures as we have clients sign off on tile patterns.

Need to utilize more of VW 3D ability for interior renderings.

taoist

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi taoist,

If you're interested in interiorCAD, get in touch with Tom Pearce. Tom is an old friend to VW as well as a talented woodworker.

Here's Tom's email -

Tom@Coronal.net

Wes