exporting bitmaps

Hi, I am making some drawings for technical specifications that will be printed by others. Therefore I export my VW9 files as bitmapfiles.

I have noticed some troubles while exporting bitmapfiles. On my drawings I use both 2D and 3D images. When I go to export/image there is obviously no way to get ONE high quality bitmap from this drawing. When I activate the 2D layer, the bitmap will turn very large, with small image in the corner. When I export through the 3D layer, only the 3D drawing will be exported.

By the way, exporting wmf doesn't work at all!

What can I do? Or what did I do wrong?

Hello. are you using a PC or a Mac? i know quite a cheecky little trick on the pc to export a high res bitmap, but i dont know if it works on the Mac.

here what i do. you may need to turn off you monitor if it cant stand high resolutions or let your eyes suffer witht the 60hz for a second.

1. set your sreen res to what ever you would like your image to be. i normally use 1600x1200,

2. then go into vectorworks and get rid of the tool bars to make your imgae you want to export maximumzoom into all you want to export.

3. Hit the print screen button, 'this copying an image of your screen onto the clipboard.

4. open windows paint, photoshop or fireworks or which ever 2d editing app you use, and click new file, 1600x1200 and then just paste it in an crop your image to get rid of all toolbars and other things distracting from your image smile.gif" border="0

hope this helps.

yeah, i was just about to say that katie...... " just what she said ^^^^

the nurbs things is a auto, signiture. i will change it just for you though...

though i have had a few emails from it.saying ...

1. men are polygon, quick and easy to understand. < from a guy2. women are nurbs are they are really slow and take up too much of your time. <- from a guy3. men are polygons as they are easyer to manipulate <- from a lady.

Erik, The problem you are having when exporting the drawing as an image and getting an itsy bitsy image in the upper right hand corner of the image is due to space in the drawing.

When VW exports, it goes by the 0,0 coordinate. If you have any part of your drawing that you want to export way away from the 0,0 coordinate, the image file generated will be monsterous is byte size, small in actual image size, at least the image part that counts.

Never fear, this can be resolved. You can set a perspective crop which will only export the stuff that is inside the "crop". If you turn to page 12-3 in the VW User's Guide, half way down the page it explains how to set this up. Once you have the drawing croped, you can proceed with the export to image process. You will now notice your exported image with less space.

• 2 weeks later...