Bugs. So many bugs. Input desired.

So, we've been on this product since Minicad 6. We recently updated to Vectorworks 2011 from 12.5 on our three licenses. We so totally regret this now. Performance is horrible, even on modern Macs and PCs. There are bizarre things happening to our files and workflow. However, I am posting to ask about one particular bug we just discovered today.

We regularly scan drawings and import the image so we can trace over the image. 12.5 was fine - it imported quickly, rotated properly, and everything was great. 2011 just does not work. We discovered today that an imported image will not rotate properly. It is consistently between half a degree and one degree off. If we try to rotate it the last half degree or so, IT SCALES THE IMAGE instead of rotating. Seriously.

I just contacted support about this, but have any other users noticed this?

I recently had some problems with images imported as resources. When mapped onto a 2d object (everything in Top/Plan, Screen Plane), a rotated resource image is sometimes clipped parallel to its mapping boundary.

View is fine in Design Layer - entire object is covered with the mapped image, and image details are represented in desired locations. But in viewport, the image does not cover entire object to which it is mapped. As if the VP shifted the mapping.

But it might be some file corruption. I cannot repeat it in a new file.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm putting this bug on the back burner due to a real deal-breaking problem. Our main design machine has a recurring problem where the output to our large-format printer is cropped to just a random section of the drawing at 8.5"x11". Even a PDF exported (via the print dialog, we only have Fundamentals) still prints cropped. This seems to infect the file in some way, parts of a 'bad' file when copied to other new files bring along the bad data. Here's the real kicker: We had this problem way back with Vectorworks 12.5.3, Mac OS X 10.5.8, and an HP Designjet 800ps. We never solved it. We have upgraded the OS to 10.6.7, to Vectorworks 2011, and a Canon iPF8000s only to find the problem still plaguing us. Sometimes the files fail to print correctly on our other Mac design station, but always print on the one PC on our floor.

Has *anyone* seen a problem like this? We're on the verge of returning our licenses and bailing on Nemetschek entirely. This issue added with the atrocious performance on Macs of version 2011 has us really unhappy.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Just a thought - but have you run software update on the Mac since going to 10.6.7... there was a nasty bug introduced with fonts on that and it brought down many printing capabilities. There is a fix - just run software update and you should get the font fix.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...