3D plants too big for 2011 but fine in 2010?

Ok, in my never-ending quest for decent 3D plants that I do not have to pay for I have turned to Sketchup and have had a modest amount of success. From a side view they are not as convincing as a good image prop apart from the very best ones but from the top down they are useable whereas image props aren't.

So, on balance, I like them.

But I have hit a problem and this one does seem terminal, for VW 2011 at least.

I was completely unable to create combined 3D symbols with these Sketchup imorted plants in a file that I was working on in 2011. I guessed it was a memory problem as the file was quite full so used a blank "shuttle" file to create them and then imported them. The imported symbols looked fine in top/plan view and would just about render in OpenGl but if I asked for any sort of Renderworks, even Fast, the memory gauge in the Activity Monitor on my Mac would just wind up to full and stay there. I have 8 gb of RAM.

Tried everything, no success. In desperation dropped it back to 2010 and boom! Not only did it work but, if I dropped the HDRI lighting 2010's runtime bugbear, it flies. I can get useable FQR renders out in less than a minute.

Is 2010 that much more efficient at memory management, even with files created in 2011?

Matt