Export to 3d applications

Hello i have just recently started using vectorworks, and so far i am very impressed. the only problem i have is with exporting to 3d applicatioins. Does anyone know a way of succefully exporting to applications like 3D STUDIO MAX, MAYA, or LIGHTWAVE? is there a plugin available? is there a tutorial anywhere showing you how to do so? can it be done?

all help will be greatly recieved.

thanks

Originally posted by AMO:Hello i have just recently started using vectorworks, and so far i am very impressed. the only problem i have is with exporting to 3d applicatioins. Does anyone know a way of succefully exporting to applications like 3D STUDIO MAX, MAYA, or LIGHTWAVE? is there a plugin available? is there a tutorial anywhere showing you how to do so? can it be done?

I don't know about a Plugin for exporting to the applications you have mentionend, expect the one for Export to Artlantis render.You can use the DXF or DWG file format, maybe VRML will work too. You can use Export simple Vectorscript and imort the text file into Strata Studio 3D (i have no experience about this).I am sure NNA is working on other export format's.?

did god use nurbs or polygons?

I think he used Nurbs for woman and Polygons for men, makes sense, eh? grin.gif" border="0

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Hannes ]

I am working on a PC. and obviously i was hoping to load it into a proper renderer rather than strata or the like. no offence but i like a bit more quality, dont ask for radiosity, that can be faked, but i do like a room to look like a room. smile.gif" border="0

Lets hope they sort out a nice *.3ds or a nice *.obj or *lwo exporter to keep me happy smile.gif" border="0

And we all could have been made with polygons only men didnt get the Sub-D polygon treatment. grin.gif" border="0

To be able to render a VW drawing in Strata, you will need to export your VW drawing as Simple VectorScript. By defualt, this export option is not added to the workspace.

To add this to the workspace :Go to File>Workspaces>Workspace Editor. Select "Edit Current Workspace". On the left side of the Edit Workspace dialog box are option you can bring into your current selected workspace which is on the right.On the left side expand Import/Export. You should see "Export as Simple VectorScript". On the right side, expand the Import?Export menu option. Drag the "Export as Simple VectorScript" over to the right side so that it is under Import/Export. You should see a line where it will appear. Once you see it on the right side, click OK to save changes to the workspace and exit the Workspace Editor.

Once this is added to your workspace, you can then go to File>Export> Export Simple VectorScript.

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]