File doesn't open from hard drive until I copy it to my desktop

We have been using VW for almost 15 years and recently updated to 2011 from 12.5.

We are using one of the office network computers as our main server as we all work on the files in its hard drive.

Since the update the only way any VW2011 file opens is when we copy the file to the computers desktop. This is true also for the user who's hard drive we all share that has to copy files from the hard drive folder to his desktop to be able to open them.

When trying to open the files directly this message appears:

"This is an unrecognized file. It may be VectorWorks file created by a newer version of the application, it may be a very old MiniCAD file, it may have been created by another application, or it may have been corrupted by a hardware or system error."

Of course this is quite a hassle as we all need to constantly copy any file we are working on from our desktop and back to the server file.

We don't have this problem with any other program.

I am working on a Macbook,system 10.5.8 , with newly installed VW 2011. (also have a VW 12.5 also installed on the computer). Other computers in the network are Mac pro and an Imac.

Network Server Mac pro computer is the only one with snow leopard installed in it.

Thanks in advance

odedya,

I suspect your problem is that your VW 12.5 application is running when you try to open the 2011 file. That may be why you get the unrecognized file message.

Have you tried quitting VW 12.5 on both machines before trying to open the file?

Or have you tried dragging and dropping the file onto the VW 2011 app icon in the dock to open it?

Also, you should be able to choose Open... from the file menu of VW 2011 to open the file in 2011.