HELP PLEASE!!! 3D Rotation Problem

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Which objects are you trying to rotate? You can do this with Lighting Devices still in 2011.

Other than that, hybrid objects 3D element remains parallel to the layer - and this hasn't changed.

Let me know more about what you're trying to do...

Have you created the 3D Locus within your 3D geometry and created the three parts that make up the symbol i.e. body, yoke and clamp? Then set the correct insertion point for both 2D and 3D elements of the symbol? You also need to attach the Parts record to each of these elements and edit the fields so VW knows which part each is. This is documented in the Help (I don't mean to insult you by sending you to the Help - but there are diagrams!). Search for Lighting Instrument Specifications.

I have just tested again with my own symbol and I can rotate about X and Y.

Hope that helps.

WOW why did they do that? It was so much easier before, I have never had to do any of this to manipulate the 3D of a hybrid, I would use this for my Truss as well, but now I wont be able to. Thank you for the explanation, I appreciated it very much. They have just messed me up so bad, my life is going to have to go back to the hard way I use to do things having to create a symbol for every angle I do now -_-. Is there anyway to utilize the way they did it before?

Also why do i have to select a wide space around a 3d object now?

The change means that your 3D symbol will automatically follow the focus point, rotating just the body towards it for a correct 3D view. You should not have to create a new symbol for every view at all. All the symbols in the library are set up this way - give them a try and you'll see what I mean.

Help - is under the Help menu. It is an Adobe Air application.

Hopefully that helps you.

Hah! So sorry I misunderstood you! In the Help, search for "Lighting Instrument Specifications".

So, you want to rotate the 3D element of your truss? If you use the Truss tool, it does have a hanging angle field which will rake it nicely. However, lights won't hang properly as they will pick up the Z value of the light position, which is no longer constant.

The solution is to use Create Plot and Model View. THis command moves stuff around a bit and makes design layer viewports that can be rotated in 3D. This has not changed in 2011..

Hmmmm I will try to use the Create plot, i tried it once before and it didn't work out as I need, maybe it will be better this time, thanks again for all the help. I feel like they are making this so much more complicated than it really needs to be, especially when I could do all this in 2010 without having to do any of this, lol. Anyway thanks again.