Support for full-screen feature in Mac OS X Lion

Christiaan

Question

12 answers to this question

Seconded.

The one thing I've always hated about the Mac environment is the bloody floating windows/palettes with bits of other apps visible in the gaps between. Thank heavens they've seen sense with Lion. The sooner this is implemented in applications by developers the better.

The one thing I've always hated about the Mac environment is the bloody floating windows/palettes with bits of other apps visible in the gaps between. Thank heavens they've seen sense with Lion. The sooner this is implemented in applications by developers the better.

Amen to that. Definitely the worse thing about Mac.

i was hoping to appeal to your sense of humour Christiaan, no intent to offend, but 10, 11, and subsequently 12 will only run on 10.6 intel Macs. . . . If you had already suffered the niggles that the latest releases have thrown into the bucket, you'd understand.

As for the unified interface, Chris, the very aspect of OSX that i still love is that notes and images i have sourced in other Applications i can still make use of without going back and forth between them, being able to read them in the background. VW adopting this without the option to use the present format would be just New Paint slowing the work process even more than the new "Planes" iteration in 2011 already does.

A UI for VW would need an "Off Switch" for that too.

i would prefer it if NV got the Tools that have been requested for years to function without failure in the last 3 or 4 releases first and some that have adopted new problems since 2009. Then if the stability and any other problems were addressed, a look at tarting up the appearance with New Paint might be acceptable. Add/Subtract Solids, all of the Extrusion Tools, Loft, Sweep, Extract, even Push/Pull needs help(Protrusion? Tool as was), Chamfer, Fillet, EAP, the list goes on . . . . . .

DWorks, i think it was,(forgive me if i errr. may have been Mike Oz) mentioned that NV are rumoured to have people working somewhere in a back room on a ground up rebuild of VW. Now, if that's true and clears up all the long awaited improvements to old unhealed injuries afflicting it for far too long, then i might be happy to deal with a New Paint Job in the form of a UI, but, "Everything" and i mean "Everything", must first work as you expect it to work, without each and every procedure needing a never ending list of possible workarounds that might get the results that you want from one Tool or another.

i still have to keep going back to 2009 to get certain things done that it just can't do in 2010(not so bad) and 2011 with out taking days and days for a 20 minute job and without Crashing.

One thing at a time, please guys and in the right order.

i was hoping to appeal to your sense of humour Christiaan, no intent to offend, but 10, 11, and subsequently 12 will only run on 10.6 intel Macs. . . . If you had already suffered the niggles that the latest releases have thrown into the bucket, you'd understand.

Okay now I get you (of course no offence taken, perhaps being stuck on v2009 has been a blessing in disguise). Regardless I'd still expect fundamental features like this to be supported. If it means the other issues you mention aren't dealt with then of course I don't want that but I'm not in a position to second-guess priorities. All I know is that NV should be capable of adding support for these features and fixing the aforementioned problems.

As for the unified interface, Chris, the very aspect of OSX that i still love is that notes and images i have sourced in other Applications i can still make use of without going back and forth between them, being able to read them in the background. VW adopting this without the option to use the present format would be just New Paint slowing the work process even more than the new "Planes" iteration in 2011 already does.

A UI for VW would need an "Off Switch" for that too.

The way the full-screen feature in 10.7 works is a little icon in the top right of the application's window. You click this and it takes you into full-screen mode. You mouse over the top of the screen and click on a similar icon in the top right to take you back to normal mode.

But this is different from a unified window interface, which I'd still like to see, as this thread.

OK, i could live with that as long as there IS an option.

But there are already in Snow Leopard, things that have been just left out from Leopard that, though new and REALLY useful have just been dropped already and i'm wondering how many more good things are going to vanish with the advent of Lion.

i'm all for progress, but not at the cost of practicality. i'm often worried that now Windows has made such a big effort to be as much like Macs with W7 as they possibly can, i would be devastated if Apple started making the OSX more and more like the old Windows that PC's have just escaped from.

:)

I vote with AndiACD.

Full screen is already here in bits and pieces. iPhoto's full screen mode comes to mind. I use full screen for edit and display, but can make it go away with a dbl click. Adobe's Photoshop Elements also has a full screen interface.

As long as fullscreen is an option and has a quick defeat, it's useful. The ability to resize an active window to view inactive windows or even the desktop is essential to my workflow for Vectorworks, bookkeeping, and many other things. I use Apple's Expose features constantly. They are useful for switching, full screen or not, but do not replace my need for and use of multiple open windows.

As for palettes - I still want a key/mouse/voice command to make all or some show/hide. Screen can be All Drawing until a palette or a user defined set of palettes is summoned. They would appear where last placed.

-B

Doesn't the current Mac OS "spaces" switching do about the same thing as this new-fangled "Lion" stuff ?

PS: I'm with the other guy about getting the old stuff right first, before adopting new technologies. I'm forever frustrated just trying to get a good grass texture that doesn't repeat a pattern, and looks realistic up close or far away.