File corruption/conflict

Dear Forum members

I am new to this forum and this is my first post, I have found the information here very helpful, however after extensive searching I have been unable to resolve a problem.

I am using a mac book pro and I have been using an educational version of 2010 until I upgraded to 2011. My file is quite big (157.6 mb) because I have a lot of 3d objects, I accept that this will slow down work somewhat, however I started to get some serious problems. My Application started to crash more often and when I tried to use my back up files they would not open. The program keeps crashing when the backup file tries to "regenerate geometry that was stripped from this file" I have noticed that the back up file is 80mb when the working file is 157.6mb, is this normal? I have also noticed that one of my textures will not work unless the "none" class is turned on even though the object which has the texture is in another class.

From reading posts I think It may be that I have some sort of layer conflict or anomaly in my file but I don't know how to cure it or to begin to find out what is causing the problem. In the last few days I have lost 50% of my work and had to keep redrawing what has been lost. I changed from 2010 to 2011 which seemed to help a little bit but as I feared the problem is still with me. Is there a way I can work through the file and find out where the problem is? Or perhaps if I reorganise the whole file to try and find out if it is a layer conflict or a class problem. Or can I reconstruct the file in a fresh document ? What is "best practice" in setting up files?

I am a student and I have 24 hours to my presentation so it this has come at the wrong time!

thanks for any advise you can give me.

Tim

There is probably one (perhaps several) object that is causing this. You can try creating a new 'clean' file and then referencing the old file into this, if this works take one layer at a time and copy them into the new file until you hit the 'bad' layer or object.

Unfortunately this won't get you back everything but at least part of it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Tim

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding the None class issue - I would recommend that you don't turn off None. There are many objects in Vectorworks that belong to the None class without you realising. Just leave it turned on. If there are things you want to hide, put them in a different class and turn that off.

I concur with Vincent's advice regarding the rebuilding of the file. If you start with a blank file, you can do the following:

Click on the layers button and go to create a new Design Layer. Instead of naming your design layer, go to the button below and choose to import layers. Click on the Browse button and navigate to your misbehaving file. This will then list all the layers from that file.

Choose the first one and also check the Import Layer Objects box. Click OK. This will import the layer and any objects on it. Save the new file and repeat, one layer at a time until you get to the offending one.

I do hope that helps you.

All the best

Dear Tamsin and Vincent

Thank you for replying to my request for help. I have been through my file and tried to tidy up every little detail and cross reference...

at least my application isn't crashing so often now and I have most of my work available. I set up a new file for 2d work and one for 3d work. I looked for any clashes across all classes and Layers and I was as thorough as I could be. I found a problem...... an extrude along path object. A moulding profile that should be at a certain height on one layer. I put it in a class called BRKmoulding and when i turn it off and on again the extrude along path drops to the absolute Z zero height of the ground floor layer. I tried to force it to stay at the right height by going into the extrude along path and giving the path of the extrude a big z height and then repositioned the extrude to compensate for the problem but it didn't work.

The extrude along path is a moulding profile that wraps around a facade so it extrudes in the x and y plane but it is inconsistent in the z height. I have isolated the object in a small .vwx file (watermarked) so I could email it to you (5mb) if you might be able to have a look at it if my description isn't enough.

Thanks so much for your time.

TIm

Dear Tamsin and Vincent

Further to my response above, I set up a completely new and clean file, I re-made the extrusion and moved it about and turned everything on and off to try and re-create the original circumstances and some strange things happened. This time the extruded moulding rotated in the x axis when I tried to position it. It also seemed to be in two classes at once even though the OIP and all other indicators said it was in a sngle class. This object is a new run of moulding with two right angles in it.....perhaps it is an illegal extrude.?

Tim

I have now done further and final investigations... I made a completely new and fresh file. I simplified the extrude profile to make it easier to texture. I still have the same problem with extrude along path 3d objects. Whenever I turn the objects class on and off the object is returned to zero. This happens with all extrude along path objects in many different combinations but not sweeps or other

types of 3d objects. Perhaps I have a corrupt version of VW ? or I am overlooking something really simple. I've spent many hours stopped on this among other problems, so now I am going to draw my project presentation by hand.... something which I think will be a liberating feeling !

Tim

Dear Tamsin

Thank you for helping me, as you pointed out the paths for the extrudes were still in the "none" class, this has a powerful effect on the behavior of the object.

It may have been this that led to serious issues when my application kept crashing.

I have discovered that if the path, the extrude, and the group (if grouped) are not all in the same class ?a troublesome conflict occurs which has kept me busy for some hours !

When I adjusted these settings the objects jumped back to where they were supposed to be ! I can't tell you how relieved I was to see this happen !

These small issues can sometimes be very time consuming and frustrating, so it's all on the (steep) learning curve, many thanks.

Kind Regards

Tim