3D sphere/ellipse with light from inside

I need to make an elliptical chandelier light. The actual light has about forty small lights all around the perimeter, and there are about twenty lights in the room. Renderworks does not like this. So, I tried it with reflective cones and four lights shining at each chandelier from each side, but it still cracks it. So how would I make the sphere hollow, a light in the middle, with holes around it to let the light shine out? Would this even work? Any easier ideas for this are very welcome!

Create a sphere, copy, paste in place, and then reduce the radius of the new sphere in the object info pallette. (The difference between the two will give you the desired wall thickness. Do a solid subtraction, and you'll wind up with a hollow shell. To punch holes in the shell, either extrude shapes (cylinders, or star-shapes - whatever) and do solid subtractions in the desired locations, or else apply a texture that has a mask transparency (try out the steel or silver mesh and see how it looks to you - sort of a disco ball effect). You can make a new transparency mask with the hole shapes you want (the mesh has square holes, so when I wanted to make a perf metal texture I made a mask with round ones). Put point light sources inside the sphere as required for desired intensity.