Slicing Object with a texture and having texture match

MattG

I have a project I am working on with a grid of video. There are nine areas but they are mapping one image across all 9 things. What I am wondering is if anyone knows a way to create a solid, surface, mesh, 3d poly whatever that I can apply a texture to. This texture being the one thing I want and then just slice this one thing into the 9 pieces i need and have the texture stay the way it was supposed to. I am trying to avoid taking one image in photoshop and dicing it up there bringing it into vw 9 times and then applying 9 times.

Any idea?

Matt

Use the shell tool. It can make a single object out of several non adjacent surfaces which will share the texture image. The surfaces do not need to be on a plane, do not need to be flat.

If the places you want the image are surfaces of several objects, apply the Extract tool in Surface mode. Extract the required surfaces from each the relevant base objects. For clarity, select the new surfaces, group them, then enter the group. Now apply the shell tool - hold shift key for multiple selection, and click each surface until they are all highlighted red. Press return or click the checkmark. A shell results - in this case, a single object with non adjacent surfaces. Adjust shell thickness to near zero in the OIP. Apply your texture to the shell. If necessary, move/nudge the shell slightly to the front of the base objects.

Post back if you can't get it to go.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

That worked as explained. I know this is wishing a bunch but in a perfect world the geometry would be editable within the shell. Does that make sense? I have 6 flat surfaces that are all getting one texture. The surfaces move. I am hoping to have the texture mapped the way I set it up initially with the shell then be able to move piece one around a bit and take the mapping for where it lands on the mapped shell. I realize this is probably a pipe dream, but just thought I would share what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks for the help with this appreciate it.

I know. Object history is one of those love/hate things. Sometimes it's in the way, other times you wish it was there.

A workaround:

Select the Shell and Ungroup (cmd U, not cmd K). This reduces the shell to the source polys. Move/edit as required and shell again.

Or

One could save a dupe of the source polys on another layer, but that would require lots of forethought.

-B