need help creating solid

As you can see, I'm still using VW2008 Architect with renderworks. I'm trying to create a block object for the top and bottom of a turned post.

I can't figure out how to get it to look like it's real world counterpart. The attached file shows my post with blocks. The top block on the post is a simple square post. The actual post has a radius on the top on all four side.

When I created my vectorworks object, I did show by doing a solid addition of two identical parts. But the result has a "crevice" that runs from corner to corner. Hopefully the attached file will make my problem clear enough.

HELP! LOL!

Thanks!

Hi Chirs,

You've modelled the bottom block as an extrude - hence the crevices/groins.

You can achieve the curved surface which should probably be sphericalby either using the hemisphere tool or a sweep. You'll then have to trim using solid subtractions/slice to get it to the size & shape you need.

VW is working as expected. The shape you want is not created by the two shaped you have added.

If I were going to do this, I would do something like the following.

Create an extruded rectangle the total height of the base.

Create an extruded arc to use as a cutting tool with the proper radius for the curved portion.

Rotate the 3D View so you have a true elevation (horizontal top and bottom), but are looking at a 45? (so you have corners on the "screen plane")

Duplicate the cutting tool to the proper location and move a copy to the correct location to trim the top edges that need to be removed. Select the tool and the base and subtract solids.

Repeat for the other three corners. You only have to change the 3D view twice to access all the corners.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. That's what makes this board so valuable!

I struggled with this forever! Amazing how simple something can be is you just know how to approach the problem. Pat, I haven't tried your method but plan too. I went right to Guy's image and file, then did it myself in seconds.

Thanks again to you all!!!

Edited by Chris Fleming